Fashion

Fast Fashion- Understanding these big-name retailers

Brands like Shein, Zara, H & M, UNIQLO, Gap, Forever 21, and Fashion Nova are known for being major players in the fast-fashion market. Each one of these retailers and manufacturers cut time drastically in design, production, and delivery. The turnovers for these companies are significantly less than traditional retailers because the products are in such high demand for their cheap prices.  

The introduction of fast-fashion pieces being constantly released drives the consumers to urge themselves to shop more frequently and purchase more items.  

Once items become out of stock, they are immediately released with new items. Fast fashion allows consumers to get what they want when they want it. It also allows consumers to own multiple different articles of clothing or accessories that they might have not been able to in the past.  

Despite the advantages of fast fashion, this movement encourages a “throw-away” attitude towards clothing and accessories. The “throw away” concept encompasses consumers to get rid of these pieces after only wearing them once or twice due to them being cheaply made and manufactured.  

The disposable attitude is causing problems for the planet through pollution due to them not being able to be recycled. The average American is known for throwing around 81 pounds of clothing a year according to Saturday Evening Post, 2018.  

These fast fashion garments and accessories are made of mostly synthetic materials and end up in landfills. Fast-fashion retailers are known for outsourcing production and usually use overseas factories to facilitate production. This allows the retailers to pay workers low wages and hire younger employees. Noting these things, fast fashion brands have a 10% on the Fashion Transparency Index, a poor rating. 

Hey y'all, my name is Jett Taylor! I am enrolled at North Carolina State University earning a degree in Fashion Textile Management and Marketing with a concentration in Fashion Development and Product Management. I am also minoring in Journalism. I love all things fashion and pop culture! Stay tuned for my articles!