Fast Break Sports: Let’s Bring in the New Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Want the low down on more than just NC State Sports? Check out Patrick’s personal sports news website: Sports Addiction

Well, 2011 has come and gone and it is now time to start looking towards 2012. I hope everyone had a great break and was able to enjoy the holidays, but here is a little break down of what is happening with the Wolfpack, even though the past couple of weeks in the world of sports has been a little slow.

Men’s basketball
played two games at the RBC center. The first game, the Wolfpack struggled against the Campbell team that just seemed to stick around. With the help of Lorenzo Brown, who had a career-high with 24 points, and also going 28 out of 31 from the free throw line, State was able to pull the win out. They also had a game against Western Carolina, which seemed to be a game that State was able to control. The Wolfpack was able to shoot 57.7% from the field and led by 23 at the half, with the lead growing as high as 41 points. State heads into the year with a 10-4 record with a 82-55 win over Western Carolina.

The Women’s basketball team played in the Rainbow Whine Invitational that took place in Hawaii. The team went 3-0 in the tournament with wins over Florida Gulf Coast, Alcorn State, and Hawaii as Marissa Kastanek pulled in the honors of being the MVP of the tournament. However, the Lady Wolfpack was not so lucky when they started their conference play against Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech was able to out shoot State (47.5% compared to 40.7%) and also out-rebound them (45 compared to 28). Bonae Holston, who is the leading scorer for the team, was held to one of her lowest outings in forever, with only producing 3 points. NC State at the end, was not able to pull anything together and fell 76-66 to the Yellow Jackets and an 11-4 record overall.

Other Sports News at NC State:

• Darrius Little placed second in the Southern Scuffle tournament, as he won four matches in the 141-lb class.
  • Terrell Manning, who just finished his junior season at linebacker, has confirmed that he will enter the NFL Draft. Manning suffered an injury in the first part of the season but was able to finish with 77 tackles, 11.5 for a loss, and with 5.5 sacks for the year.

That is all that has been happening around campus over the break, but the sports buzz will start picking up again in the new year while all the students will be returning to school. Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays as mentioned before and bring on 2012.

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!