Met Gala Gown
Met Gala Gown
Alanna Martine Kilkeary / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Fashion as an Art Form is Back!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

The recent fashion weeks have been a testament to the transformative power of fashion as an art form. From John Galliano’s evocative storytelling in Maison Margiela’s 2024 collection to Ziad Nakad’s architectural wonders in “Panthéon,” and Rami Al Ali’s chic styles, each designer has showcased their unique vision, leaving a lasting impression on audiences. We are left to ponder the elegance and inventiveness that have adorned the catwalks as the runway lights dim and the applause subsides.

Ziad Nakad: Panthéon

Ziad Nakad presents his most recent work, “Panthéon,” in the hushed splendor of Haute Couture Week in the heart of Paris. Ziad Nakad made a triumphant comeback to the catwalk in a moment that would live on in the annals of fashion history. It was an unforgettable comeback spotlighting his creative acumen and enduring genius. Ziad Nakad’s skillful hands transform fabric into a canvas for architectural marvels, and each item is a demonstration of his fastidious attention to detail. Adorned with crystals that shimmer like stars in the night sky, mosaic-like embroidery that tells tales of ancient artistry, and voluminous gowns that float ethereally, Ziad Nakad’s creations are a symphony of beauty and grace. With each model that glides down the runway, Nakad’s vision unfolds, a testament to his artistry and passion for haute couture. As the show draws to a close, there is a collective hope in the air, a wish that Nakad remains in the fashion scene, weaving his magic for years to come. His presence is a gift to the world of fashion, and we can only eagerly anticipate the wonders he will continue to create.

Spring/Summer 2024 collection by thefashion_stage

Rami Al Ali: Spring/Summer 2024

The Spring/Summer 2024 collection by Rami Al Ali features a variety of chic and fashionable styles, such as structured minidresses, voluminous gowns, and strapless dresses. With captivating designs reflecting the light and sweeping the runway, Rami Al Ali’s 2024 collection promises to mesmerize and enchant. Visionary artists have fused fine art and fashion, honoring Steven Meyers’ floral radiography as inspiration to create an extraordinary show. Inspired by the desert sanctuaries of the Bedouin, the collection transports audiences, imbuing them with an ethereal enchantment. In this artistic ensemble, we find not only the highest expression of couture artistry but a celebration of modern femininity. Could one contend that this assemblage boasts flawless gems fit for the “The Garden of Time” Met Gala in 2024? Should his enigmatic creations adorn the crimson steps, time alone shall unveil the truth.

Spring 2024 Couture by beautifulvalentina

Zuhair Murad: Spring-Summer 2024 Couture Show

To my Roman Empire, add Zuhair Murad’s spring 2024 couture. The designs showcase diamonds, gemstones, and metallic hues, fabricating a luxury and contemporary aesthetic inspired by the Greco-Roman Empire.  Beyond the extravagance lies a deeper narrative of feminine strength, as his designs boast contemporary, powerful silhouettes that exude confidence and grace.  Goddess dresses flow like liquid gold, and avant-garde patterns dance across textiles to provide a modern and elegant creation. Murad’s designs transcend mere clothing, becoming a medium through which we can explore and express our most vulnerable selves. Murad’s masterpieces are an eternal reminder of the artistry of fashion in a world where beauty is frequently transient.

SS 24 Collection by trendylife.diary

John Galliano: Maison Margiela

John Galliano’s 2024 collection, Maison Margiela is a triumph of storytelling, a narrative that transports audiences to the gritty streets of Paris. Here, misfits with aspirations too lofty for the mundane world take solace in the city’s underground, where they are joined by other lost souls and artists, all braving the dense, opaque air of the metropolis. The models, adorned with porcelain skin created by the legendary Pat McGrath, exude a sense of desire, lust, and intoxication. They wander through Paris like puppets of the night, tolerated only in the shadows among other outsiders, their appearances are picture-perfect yet devoid of humanity. In a unique runway performance, models embrace their outcast status, revealing their decadence and stories as the glory of the city. Galliano’s show redefines fashion week by reviving art and storytelling, transforming society’s flaws into a celebration of life. He shines a light on characteristics society has long deemed insecurities, reminding us to embrace our scars and stories, and connecting with others who long to live authentically. Galliano’s collection plays with proportions, fusing the romantic with the macabre. His fascination with historical dress and decay is evident in the corsetry and layering of carefully distressed fabrics, creating a visual tapestry that speaks to the human experience of darkness, hopelessness, and loneliness as inevitable parts of life.

Maison Margiela Artisanal 2024 by MaisonMargiela

Robert Wun: For Love

Is it me? Am I the drama? Robert Wun captivated audiences with his horror-ific designs, appealing to our innate desire to express ourselves through clothing while maintaining a mysterious allure akin to the enigmatic stranger at the ball. In homage to his favorite horror movies, Wun’s “For Love” Spring/Summer 2024 Haute Couture collection is an enthralling blend of surrealism and horror. Regardless of harrowing ornamentations, it is a work of art and tells a story that you simply cannot ignore. Audiences praised Robert Wun’s “For Love” collection for its drama and artistic freedom, incorporating cinematic inspiration and embracing a dark beauty. Every piece exuded a feeling of eerie splendor, bearing witness to the designer’s avant-garde vision. The dichotomy between the harshness of bloodstains and the exquisite crystal embellishments created a captivating narrative of beauty and darkness.

SS24 Haute Couture Runway by justfashionworld

As fashion week has concluded, I am still reeling over the mesmerizing designs and fantastic performances that reminded audiences of fashion’s origins as an art form. This season not only featured some of the most spectacular and creative pieces but brought back performance art, including a dramatic performance from models and immersive set designs, transporting us with more than exceptional clothing. We find beauty not in perfection but in the authenticity of our flaws and the grace with which we navigate our dreams, no matter how grand. As we step off the runway of fashion week, let us carry this message with us, finding strength in our authenticity and embracing our journey with grace and courage.

Katy Masden, a junior at NC State majoring in Business Marketing, is on track to graduate early in the spring of 2024. Her academic journey is a fusion of creative extracurriculars and an insatiable wanderlust spirit, both of which have ignited her aspirations within the field of marketing. Her goal is to collaborate with innovative magazines and fashion companies that share her unwavering enthusiasm for pioneering ideas. As an active member of the American Marketing Association, Katy is eager to connect with industry leaders, recognizing the immense value of networking and shared insights to drive innovation within the marketing and global business landscape. Post-graduation, her ambition takes her abroad, with London as her destination of choice. There, she plans to immerse herself in the dynamic world of creative direction, forging cross-cultural collaborations and pushing the limits of marketing.