Easy DIY Face Masks for Common Skin Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

With the colder weather and exams approaching, our skin has probably been adjusting from the cold and stress. I myself, have suffered and began to breakout, YIKES! My skin typically has been combination skin with rare breakouts except for the few before my period. This year however, has been quite different. My skin has been suffering and breaking out like crazy. As I complained to my girlfriends, they complained about their skin problems as well. Whether you’re breaking out from the winter dryness or the stress from school, I’ve got the perfect remedies for all of you skin problems! If you don’t have any skin problems (I am so jealous of you) try some of these masks just for a fun and relaxing night in! Here are some quick remedies for all of our most common skin problems. 

1. For Blackheads: 

What you’ll need:

• Lemon
  • Honey

What you do:

1. Wash skin with facial cleanser and pat dry.
  2. Slice one lemon in half (as shown in the picture). 
  3. Take one slice and pour 3-4 drops of honey (preferrably organic) onto the fresh lemon. 
  4. Once you have a generous amount of honey onto the lemon rub the lemon onto your problem areas that contain blackheads. (ex: nose, chin, cheeks, etc)
  5. Massage the lemon and honey onto the skin then let sit for 5 minutes. 
  6. Rinse with cold water

This mask will help with not just blackheads. The lemon will help reduce your acne scarring and marks while the honey will moisturize the skin. 

2. For Minimizing Pores: 

What you’ll need:

• 1 egg (preferrably organic) 

What you do:

1. Wash face with facial cleanser and pat dry. 
  2. Crack one egg into a bowl, while separating the yolk from the egg white. 
  3. Stir the egg white well 
  4. Place a thin layer of the egg white onto your face.
  5. Let sit for 10 minutes or until dry. You should feel your face tighten and the egg beginning to dry.
  6. Rinse with cold water and pat dry

Eggs are really great for not just minimizing pores but helping with acne, blackheads and provide a temporary lift to your skin. If you tend to have dry skin, add honey to the mixture so that the honey will moisturize your skin. 

3. For Acne/Cystic Acne

What you’ll need:

• 1 Egg
  • 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
  • 2-3 tablespoons of honey (preferrably organic)

What you do: 

1. Crack one egg into a bowl, using only the egg white.
  2. Add 2-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
  3. Add 2-3 tablespoons of honey
  4. Mix well.
  5. Spread mixture onto skin and massage gently. 
  6. Let sit for 10 minutes or until dry.
  7. Rinse with cold water and pat dry. 

This a great mask for acne. The apple cider vinegar will help reduce inflammation and swelling of pimples while also being a natural antiseptic. It will kill the germs, bacterica, viruses and yeasts while also restoring your pH on your face. The egg will help tighten the pores while the apple cider vinegar fights the bacteria and the honey will lift the dead skin cells and moisturize your face. I personally love this mask. You will see overnight results and your swelling will reduce greatly. This is also really great for cystic acne. (pimples without a white tip, they are usually under the skin.) 

4. For Blemeshes and Redness: 

What you’ll need:

• Any red wine
  • All-natural PLAIN yogurt. 

What you do: 

1. In a bowl add 2 tablespoons of yogurt. 
  2. Pour 2 tablespoons of wine. 
  3. Mix well. 
  4. Place mixture onto skin. 
  5. Let sit for 10 minutes
  6. Rinse with cold water and pat dry, 

This mask is great for reducing redness and blemishes on the skin. The wine has great anti-aging benefits as well as many antioxidents. The yogurt will restore lots of moisture into the skin while the wine helps with the blemishes. 

5. For Dry Skin:

What you’ll need: 

• Plain Oatmeal
  • Natural PLAIN yogurt

What you do: 

1. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of plain yogurt into a bowl
  2. Mix in 2-3 tablespoons of plain oatmeal. 
  3. Mix well until it becomes a paste
  4. Add a generous amount of mixture to face, massage gently. 
  5. Let the paste sit on skin for about 20 minutes or until it is dry. 
  6. Rinse with cool water and pat dry. 

The oatmeal will be a natural exfoiliant and help with the dead skin cells or any flakeyness. The yogurt will moisturize your face while reducing redness. The yogurt will also tighten you pores, restore brightness, and help fade scars. Yogurt is great for sensitive skin that has been severely dry or sunburnt. 

Suggestions: 

1. Regardless of how bad your skin is, make sure you still feel beautiful! I know it’s hard, I’ve been there, but try not to stress too much. Stress will only increase the problem and more breakouts!
  2. Wear less makeup, as much as you want to cover up your blemishes, try to steer away from covering them up too much. Makeup can clog the pores and make the breakouts worse. If you do wear makeup, make sure to ALWAYS wash your face before bed. 
  3. Don’t overwash your face. When you overwash your face, you can strip all of the natural oils from your face making it dry and your skin will retaliate. It will produce more oils, causing more pimples. 
  4. Make sure to use a gentle cleanser and MOISTURIZE. You always want to moisturize your skin so that it will be nice and healthy and not produce more oils. Make sure to use a good moisturizer that adds moisture into the skin without making your skin feel greasy. This will clog your pores even more. Try switching from a cream moisturizer to a gel moisturizer, which will feel less greasy and thick. 
  5. Eat healthy and drink more water. Bad skin can be from what you’re bringing into your body. Work from the inside, out. Cleanse your body by eating healthier and drink lots of water. Water will help flush out the toxins in your body and also keep it hydrated and moisturized. 

I hope that these masks help you with your skin problems because they definitely helped me! Tweet us how these masks worked for you by tweeting @HerCampusNCSU #ncsudiymasks

Images: 

1 2 3 4 5 6

Sources:

http://www.bubzbeauty.com/bubbi-likes/96-best-diy-mask-ever.html

http://www.kandeej.com/2011/08/diy-excellent-skin-eggs-cellent-mask.html

http://healthybodydaily.com/tag/red-wine-yogurt-honey-facial-mask-recipe-dr-oz/

http://www.drgranny.com/2011/05/04/egg-white-face-mask/

Misha Tobar is a junior at North Carolina State University. She is majoring in Political Science and hopes to attend law school to become a lawyer. In her spare time she loves to write and catch up on her favorite tv shows. Her interests include fashion, beauty, exploring new restaurants, and blogging.