DIY Natural & Inexpensive Room Fresheners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

One of my favorite parts of fall are lighting my fall scented Bath and Body Works Candles. While I love lighting candles, sometimes they can get pretty expensive, especially when I want to try so many of the scents! Lately, I’ve been experimenting with DIY Natural Stovetop Potpourris and I have fallen in LOVE. Stovetop Potpourris are inexpensive and really easy to do. They also fill up my apartment with a nice fragrance that lasts a long time. There are tons of recipes online and I have been loving this Apple Cinnamon and Orange recipe that just fills up my room and creates a homey fall scent. 

For this recipe you will only need a few things:

• A Small Pot
  • Filtered or Purified Water 
  • 1 Orange Peel
  • 2 Small Apples sliced
  • 2 Cinnamon Sticks
  1. First you will want slice up your apples, I like to cut them into fours with the core. Take your sliced apples and place them into the small pot.
  2. Next take an orange peel from one medium sized orange and also place this into the pot. 
  3. You will then put the cinnamon sticks into the pot. I like to break my sticks to help release the aroma.
  4. Next fill up your pot with water, I like to use filtered or purified water so that it will not affect the scent due to the minerals in your tap water. 
  5. On high heat, bring your pot to a boil. Once it has begun to boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. 

And your done! It’s super easy to do and completely inexpensive. I like to use orange peels from oranges I have already eaten. You can also use leftover apple cores or you can use fruit that is about to go bad. You may not be able to eat them anymore, but it will create a lovely scent in your home, Just make sure to double check on pot every so often. When the water has evaporated, you can just refill the water. I love this scent for fall, the cinnamon adds a great warm and cozy scent along with the freshness of the apples and oranges.

There a lot of variations to this recipe that you can create. By adding things like cloves, slices of lemon, or vanilla extract you can change the scent and create your own versions. You can also reuse your mixture for a couple times before throwing it out. Overall this cost me less than $5 since I already had apples and oranges in my home. What I love about this is how it is also natural and won’t release chemicals into your home. 

You can also premake your mixtures and place them into mason jars. When you are ready to put them on the stove, just pour the jars into a pot! These also make great gifts to friends or family as well. If you would like to see other recipes such as a Lemon Rosemary scent, check out this video below!  

I hope you guys enjoy this quick and easy DIY!

For more recipes and techniques: 

DIY Natural Room Scents

The PERFECT Fall Potpourri

Personalized All Natural Room Scents

Misha Tobar is a junior at North Carolina State University. She is majoring in Political Science and hopes to attend law school to become a lawyer. In her spare time she loves to write and catch up on her favorite tv shows. Her interests include fashion, beauty, exploring new restaurants, and blogging.