D.I.Y. Christmas Decorating Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Christmas is coming up soon and even though it is right around the corner, I had some trouble getting in the Christmas spirit this season – probably because I can walk my dog in shorts and a t-shirt at night in the middle of December! If you need a jumpstart on some holiday cheer, maybe decking the halls with boughs of holly is your best bet! Say goodbye to the Grinchy blues you may be stuck in and try our D.I.Y. decorating ideas!

Coffee filter Snowflakes!

What you need:

White coffee filters, scissors, white thread to hang them or tape to stick them wherever you want!

Steps to follow:

1. Take one coffee filter and flatten it out into a circle as best as you can.
  2. Fold the flattened out coffee filter in half into a half-circle.
  3. Fold the half circletwo times forming three pie sections. The end result will be one small pie shape.
  4. Take the scissors and cut out any shapes you want – be it triangles, circles, rectangles, etc.
  5. Carefully open your coffee filter to reveal the snowflake!
  6. To decorate with them, either punch a hole in them and tie thread in them to hang them up on the ceiling like in the picture, or use tape to stick them to windows, walls, or other flat surfaces!

Christmas Present Wall Art!

What you need:

Christmas wrapping paper, tape, ribbon, scissors.

Steps to follow:

1. Take the pictures, frames, or wall art that you want to turn into “Christmas present wall art” off the wall and cut out a piece of wrapping paper to fit the piece.
  2. Wrap up your picture like you would any other present, but be sure to leave the hanger exposed so you can hang it back up on the wall when you’re finished!
  3. Cut two pieces of ribbon to fit across the length and the width of the piece and tape them down on the backside, making sure they form a cross on the front. 
  4. Cut a third piece of ribbon depending on the size of the piece to make the bow out of. The length of the ribbon should be about the same length as the length of the piece.
  5. Slide this piece of ribbon under the two crossed ribbons you already put on the picture and tie a bow like you would your shoe. Start out with small “bunny ears” and pull them out as you want to make them larger. Starting with large “ears” makes it hard to shape and handle.
  6. You’re done! Place your wrapped Christmas wall art back on the wall!

Christmas Present Cabinets!

What you need:

Ribbon, scissors, tape.

Steps to follow:

1. Cut two pieces of ribbon to fit the length and widthe of the front side of the cabinet doors.
  2. Tape them down on the inside of the cabinet door, crossing them like a “t” on the front of the door.
  3. Cut a third piece of ribbon to make the bow out of.
  4. Slide this piece of ribbon under the two crossed ribbons you already put on the door and tie a bow like you would your shoe. Start out with small “bunny ears” and pull them out as you want to make them larger.
  5. You’re done! Do this to as many kitchen or bathroom cabinets as you wish to spread the Christmas cheer!
Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!