Destruction Around Campus: Irene’s Fallen Timber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

This past weekend the East Coast experienced the violent winds of Hurricane Irene. Wind damage caused the tree on Clark Ave. to snap, crashing through the picket-fence lining the sidewalk, and blocking the path for NC State students walking to class. Irene’s damages include: 40 deaths; and an estimated $2.6 billion dollars in crop devastation on local farms, power outages up and down the coast, closed roads and bridges, and personal property damages. Consider yourself lucky if all Irene left on your doorstep was a few leaves, twigs, branches, or that red solo cup from your neighbor’s yard.  Remember to keep up with the weather. And always have a survival kit complete with first aid, bottled water, bread and non-perishable foods, a flashlight, and, if you’re of age, you may want to know that once we’re in a state of emergency, alcohol cannot legally be sold in stores, so maybe pack a bottle of wine too! 

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!