Life > Experiences

Community in the Unlikeliest Places: Facebook Groups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

I can’t claim that I’ve had too much fun since mid-March. I’ve been trying to stay the safest I can, which means a lot of NetflixParty, letter writing, baking, and texting to check in with family. But around April, I found something new: Facebook groups. The first one I joined was about, as silly as it sounds, a video game: Stardew Valley. Stardew Valley was already brightening up my day; my little farmer could go out and do little tasks and create a whole incredible farm, but I realized I had questions about the game and wanted to talk about it, even though none of my friends played it. I stumbled across the Facebook group for Stardew Valley and found a whole new world. Up to this point, the only Facebook groups I had membership of were my NC State class page and a page for my summer camp counselor job. The Stardew Valley page, however, was so much different than these two groups. It was such a positive group to be a part of, with fan art, memes, and accomplishments of other players in the game. Although I never posted, I loved being a part of this group and seeing what people were doing. 

Soon, I joined the Facebook group of a podcast I listened to, Wonderful! with Griffin and Rachel McElroy. I could go on and on about that podcast alone, but Griffin and Rachel are a husband and wife and basically talk about small and big wonders in their lives, from Almond Joys, to music recommendations, poetry in Rachel’s aptly named Poetry Corner, to flu shots. The Facebook group is equally, well, wonderful. I’ve posted my own big wonders since I’ve joined the group, like seeing live ice skating, finally getting my driver’s permit at 19, crafting adventures, all met with enthusiasm and love. Others post cool things their partners or kids do, their own accomplishments and big wonders, and I can’t tell you how much seeing these folks thrive makes my day. The community in this group is incredibly warm and welcoming and always a safe haven on a rough day. 

There are countless other groups, perhaps more silly, like “Camrys with Dented Bumpers” and “a group where we all pretend we’re in the same venue,” of which I’m a part of, and valuable college groups where you can sell textbooks or make other connections with students. I’ve found other groups that I love just as much, where people talk about TV shows, music, and so much more and have found a small niche community on the unlikeliest social media app. Whatever your interest or need, you can find a Facebook group for that. I always assumed Facebook was no longer a place for people my age, and I do still have some hangups about using it with Mark Zuckerberg and all, but I’ve truly had some incredible interactions on there. If you think you have a niche interest, there is surely a flourishing and welcoming Facebook group for you. Especially with the seemingly endless pandemic, a community like this is not just nice, it’s wonderful.

Hi! My name is Allie and I am a second year student studying communication media with minors in film and journalism.