Style > Fashion

Characters & Movies To Look To For Fall Fashion Inspo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

By: Shaere Delgiudice

With fall, one of my favorite seasons, now upon us, it only makes sense to think about fall fashion. One of my favorite ways to see fall fashion is in movies and tv shows. If you need movie recommendations or just want to see some cute outfits, keep reading!

Movie – Practical Magic

The quintessential fall movie, Practical Magic, has many great looks, courtesy of sisters Gillian and Sally, who are played by Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock respectively. I first watched this movie a couple of years ago and immediately wondered why I hadn’t seen it sooner.  With Practical Magic, you get a fun movie, along with fun fashion. Gillian wears lots of skirts and dresses, with many of her outfits having a sort of flowy silhouette. Whereas Sally’s outfits tend to be a bit simpler, but still stylish nonetheless.

Movie – The Love Witch

To know me, is to know that I love accessorizing. I can’t leave the house without at least four rings, a bracelet and some earrings. In The Love Witch, accessories only help to further make what were already fantastic outfits on their own, even better. I love the retro style, large pendant necklaces, and bright, colorful rings worn by the movie’s namesake love witch, Elaine. The style of the movie itself leaves you surprised that it only came out in 2016; the costuming and set design is enough to inspire a makeover.

Movie – Almost Famous

Almost Famous is another movie with fantastic costuming. It became an instant classic for me the moment I watched it. The movie’s story, setting and all of its characters are fascinatingly fun to watch. Particularly, the charismatic character of Penny Lane, played by Kate Hudson. 

However, in this movie, everyone has at least a bit of style. One of the Bandaids, Sapphire, played by Fairuza Balk, has equally cool costuming, as do the guys from Stillwater and many of the side characters.

Movie – Stepmom

Set in the fall and winter time in New York, this movie starring Julia Roberts, who is always a joy to watch on screen, and Susan Sarandon among others delivers some nice, more minimalistic looks for the season. Both Sarandon and Roberts’ characters have wardrobes consisting mainly of jackets, but Roberts’ character, Isabel, manages to make even simple sweaters look fashionable.

Character – Jane Margolis (Breaking Bad)

Admittedly, I have yet to watch Breaking Bad, however, I have heard of Jane’s character, played by Krysten Ritter. While looking for pictures to include in this article, I came across some pictures of Jane’s own outfits. Her style features darker colors than most of the other styles featured in this article, but fall is arguably the very best time to break out the all-black outfits.

Character – Kat Stratford (and friend) (10 Things I Hate About You)

Kat, played by Julia Stiles, had a cool, laid-back style in this movie. Her looks are a great inspiration for casual everyday outfits. Her wardrobe seemingly consists of a formula of neutral tones with a bright pop of color. She wears lots of necklaces and even has a spider ring to fit the season!

Character – Joey Potter (Dawson’s Creek)

We all know it was more Joey’s Creek anyways and with the New-England setting, she had plenty of cute weather-appropriate looks. Joey, played by Katie Holmes, again had a more laid back style, mostly sticking to the simple shirts and jeans combo.

Character – Jen Lindley (Dawson’s Creek)

Continuing with the Dawson’s Creek theme, I always loved the style of Jen Lindley, played by Michelle Williams, and how she blends elements of different styles in each of her outfits.

Shaere is in her first year at NC State University, where she’s majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations. She loves animals and spending time with friends, and is a big fan of tv shows Community and This Is Us. When she isn’t working or writing articles you can find her thrifting, drawing, painting, going for walks in nature, and making handmade cards.