Campus Celebrity: Jaime Pulgar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Name: Jaime Pulgar

Major: Business administration

Hometown: Madrid, Spain

What sport do you play?
I play tennis here at N.C. State.

How did you get started playing tennis?
I started playing with my twin at our beach house in Valencia.

When did you realize that you have talent?
I realized I had talent when I started to win tournaments at the age of 14 yrs old.

How did you choose to come to N.C. State?
I came to N.C. State because I didn’t know anything about the United States and I came here to N.C. State on a visit and I liked it.

What is your favorite part about practices or matches?
My favorite part about playing is the feeling you get when you get out off court with a good win. Best feeling in the world!

Do you like playing doubles or singles more?
I like playing singles better. I am a better singles player and I like to have full responsibility of what I am doing.

What is your favorite thing about being on the N.C. State Tennis team?
My favorite thing about being on a team is getting to travel and share a lot of moments with other guys. Tennis usually is a very lonely sport.

What do you hope to do after you graduate?
Hopefully I can play tennis professionally and be successful at it. If not, I will go back home to Madrid or move to the beach in San Diego, California.

Who do you idolize?
My idol in tennis is Rafa Nadal. It’s amazing how humble and mentally strong he is. He is definitely an example to me.

Who has helped you the most here at N.C. State with tennis?
My freshman year my doubles partner helped me a lot. He was an All-American and I learned so much from him.

Do you have any superstitions or routines you follow before a match?
I like to play important matches with a specific or certain underwear, socks, shorts and shirt. Also I need my favorite towel and my lucky water bottle…I know, tennis players are weird.

What is your favorite quote?
“Go big or go home.”

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!