Campus Celebrity: Anna Whaley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
Meet one of Her Campus NCSU’s Co-Campus Correspondents for the 2011-2012 academic year!

Name: Anna Whaley
Year: 2013
Major: (Will be) PR and minoring in journalism
Hometown: Atlanta, Ga

Why did you decide to start working with Her Campus NCSU in fall 2010?
With the world of social media today I saw it on a friend who was a correspondent at UNC’s Facebook and decided to see what she kept posting about. I researched Her Campus and fell in love with the idea and knew I had to be part of it!

What is your favorite thing about Her Campus?
As part of the staff I love having the freedom to write about any topic that interests me, and I love seeing what the staff writes. As a reader, whether it’s NCSU’s page or any other schools, they have topics that relate to me and help me with any situation I can imagine.

What advice would you give to incoming freshman? 
 I think I would want to know, do your work for school then have fun! I was too worried about my social life to worry about school and my GPA suffered because of it. But on the social aspect, don’t go to a party and try to look cool and coy, be yourself and have fun! You only have 4 years in college to make crazy memories and there is no need to spend it in the corner trying to not look stupid. It’s ok to look like your having fun, promise!

What is your favorite N.C. State tradition?
I am a huge football fan! So everything about football season with NC State, from the tailgating to the
Wolf Howling and the lighting up of the bell tower! It’s all my favorite.

What do you do on campus other than Her Campus?
I am a member of Delta Gamma Sorority and stay really active with every aspect of it. I plan on running for a position next year and becoming more involved, but being a member has offered so many opportunities with friends, school and internships.

Do you have any weird study habits?
I used to only be able to do work in the library, but now I have to be at my desk in my room. Because it has all of my stuff right where I know it is (probably in a pile of mess) and I can get to it easliy. I feel like that is pretty normal though!

What has been your best and worst class experiences here at State?
I am in love with the my English classes I am taking right now! ENG 251 with Laura Linker! She is amazing. Also Eng 316 is great! I have never been more comfortable in a class ever! The worst would have to be Chemistry, I don’t know what I was thinking when I signed up for chem. 101? I was just
asking to hate my life when I picked it I guess.

What do you want to do after you graduate?
I want to travel for work, if that is possible? I want to go abroad maybe and do some work in another country with Public Relations, work is a priority though I want to do something fun and that I love to do!

What is your ideal job?
My ideal job? Would be to be famous haha! No, but really probably just finding something I look forward to doing all day! I want to look at is as an activity I like, not a job.

What is your guilty pleasure?
My Guilty pleasures are HBO and Showtime shows. I could lay in my bed for hours watching nonsense about nothing and love it. I also really love Happy Meals from McDonalds… Weird, I am in it for the food and the toys, I might still be 12 at heart.

Where is your favorite place to eat on campus, study on campus?
I love the new salad place in the Atrium! It is amazingly delicious and somewhat good for you. Now that it is spring I like to read at the court of Carolina’s, sit against the wall or on the benches and just enjoy the sun!

Where do you party on the weekends? 
On the weekends, you will most likely find me at a bar or restaurant of some type. Probably sitting at a table talking with anyone and everyone. Or constantly moving around at a party, it just depends on my mood. If I want to get really cute and go to a fraternity party or if I don’t want care about anything and relax, but the bars are more my scene.

With a crammed schedule, what is your go-to quick fix to get ready for the day?
I have to brush my teeth first thing as far as hygiene goes. I don’t care about what I look like, but for the most part, I Have to Make my BED! I feel like my day will be messy if my bed is messy!

When did you felt most accomplished so far at NCSU?
I think I felt most accomplished when I started writing for Her Campus! It gave me something to look forward to each week and I could say I did something that hopefully people will read and take into account!

What is your favorite quote?
I really like the quote by Mark Twain, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Also I really like Emerson! “Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old.”

Anything else you would like to add?
I think this by far has been my best year at State! Students need to realize that by going out and meeting different kinds of people you can find out more about yourself and about different opportunities you might not have realized. So don’t be afraid to put yourself out there!  Also I firmly believe the some of the worst mistakes make the best memories! I read that on some silly site!
Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!