Campus Celebrity: Alumna Kashi Nelson, Where She is Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Meet Ms. Kashi Nelson, my seventh grade English teacher and alumna of NCSU!

Why did you choose NCSU?
My twin sister and I were both accepted. My parents wanted us to attend a public university. We were both accepted to ECU, but felt that was too close to home. We also considered A&T and NCCU, but we made a decision that Raleigh and the Wolfpack would be our home / team

What years did you attend North Carolina State University?
I attended undergraduate school from 1987 to 1991 but left college to pursue a career in the music industry. When I got married, I chosed to transfer and graduated from East Carolina University. I returned to NCSU to get a Master of School Administration. I was there from 2001 – 2003. I am still considering returning to NCSU to finish a Ph.D. in Educational Research and Policy Analysis. I worked on that from 2004-2007 before moving to NYC to work with the charter school movement.

What degree did you graduate with?
In 2003, I received a Master of School Admininstration from NCSU.

Did you live on or off campus? Where?
 I lived on campus in Metcalf Dorm my freshman year. My twin sister was my roommate. Because my older sister was attending UNC Chapel Hill at the same time, it became more economical for my parents to get us an apartment off campus.

What is one of your favorite memories of your time spent at NCSU?
One of my fondest memories of attending NCSU was sorority life. I pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha and my twin sister pledged Delta Sigma Theta. We shared lots of fun memories including doing service projects and of course parties / step shows.

Do you remember a specific class or professor, even to this day, as being your favorite?
Dr. Bitting in the School of Education is still my favorite professor. He is also my advisor for the Ph.D. Program.

What was the most difficult class you took?
The hardest class I took was Statistics. Ugggghhhh!!!

Now that you’ve relocated back to Raleigh, what are your plans, career wise?
Although I received degrees from ECU, UNCCH, and NCSU…my fondest memories were at NCSU. I will always be a Wolfpack at heart. My next goal is to open multiple public charter schools throughout NC. My educational training in undergraduate and graduate school at NCSU is what gave me the knowledge and confidence to take on this task. I am truly proud to be a NCSU alum!

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!