Career

Applying for Summer Internships – How to Stand Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
Tailor your application to the position/employer 

Instead of creating one resume and sending it off to every single job you apply for, it’s much more effective to create a base resume and tailor it to each job. Imagine you’re the employer/interviewer– what would you want to hear from applicants? Tell them what you think they want to hear!

Some examples of this could include

Using keywords that are commonly used in the field 

Reordering your experiences on your resume in order to highlight the most relevant ones first 

Using keywords from the job/internship listing or description in your resume or cover letter (if the job description mentions organizing, highlight that you are an organized person)! 

Researching the person/company you are working for in order to really visualize what you think they are looking for. Then, matching that energy! 

Use your resources 

Use ALL of your resources in order to build the most impressive, comprehensive application possible! 

Spruce up your LinkedIn and put it in your resume

Use programs like Canva in order to make your resume look nicer

Find other resources that are relevant in your field that will set you apart from the competition! (If you are in the design field and need to make an online portfolio use Creatively.com it is AMAZING). 

Highlight the right experiences/skills 

Decide which of your experiences and skills are the most relevant to the position and really try to highlight those above everything else. For example, if you’re applying for a job in the business world, your high school sports might not matter as much to them! You have the ability to make yourself look as qualified as you want by strategically highlighting certain experiences and skills.

Be genuine

Don’t take it too too seriously! Remember that the interviewer/employer is a human, so you shouldn’t be afraid to connect with them! If you’re applying for a position in a field that you’re super passionate about, don’t let that passion be hidden by too much formality. Passion is really what a lot of employers are looking for. Don’t be afraid to tell them a story in your interview, application, cover letter, etc! Sometimes being personable is what will really set you apart from everyone else! 

Plan ahead before the interview 

Google some of the most common interview questions and simply practice answering them out loud before your interview. It feels stupid talking to yourself in the moment, but it will make you much more graceful as you answer the questions during your interview! 

Hi! My name is Eleanor Conner and I’m a sophomore at NCSU. I’m from Asheville, North Carolina and I’m majoring in Fashion and Textile Management with a concentration in Brand Management and Marketing and a minor in Business Entrepreneurship. I'm a member of Delta Gamma and serve on the Circle of Sisterhood Executive Board at NC State. In my free time, I like to go out with friends, go shopping, workout, and drink coffee! I'm passionate about writing about design and lifestyle related topics, and I'm so excited to be working with Her Campus NCSU!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU