A Deep Dive into ‘Parachutes’ and Why it’s My Favorite Coldplay Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Coldplay is a British alternative rock band from London. They have released nine albums since their formation in 1997, which have received generous attention worldwide. Coldplay’s sound is unique and almost indescribable, procuring them multiple Grammys, MTV Music Awards, and more.

I first started listening to Coldplay when I was only a toddler, thanks to my mom. I would sit in the backseat of the car singing along as she played her favorite CDs. Ever since then, my admiration for the band only grew, as I explored even more of their music. There have been many astounding releases by my favorite artists, but Parachutes, Coldplay’s first album, is one of the few I can truly say has no skips. Every single song is beautiful and captivating, I can easily listen to it all the way through.

Parachutes has somewhat of a somber tone, with evident themes of love and longing. Like many of their albums, it has a blend of moving choruses and dreamy, melancholic instrumentals. This album is particularly famous for its songs “Yellow” and “Sparks,” which are amazing of course, but the rest of the album deserves equal amounts of love. Here is a quick analysis of each song on the album and what I like about them.

Don’t Panic

This song expresses the bands struggle with fame and the pressures that come with it. It has melodic guitar and pleasant falsetto vocals by lead singer Chris Martin. I think the ending of this song is really unique, as it ends almost abruptly, compelling the audience to continue with the rest of the album.

Shiver

“Shiver” is one of the more upbeat songs in this album. I really enjoy the catchy chorus of this song and it’s interpretation of unrequited love.

Spies

“Spies” describes the feeling of paranoia and the inability to find peace. I think this song provides a different theme to the album and delivers an almost haunting feeling to bewitch the audience.

Sparks

Arguably the saddest song to ever exist. This love song about longing and regret will be tugging at your heart strings. “Sparks” is one of my favorites of the album and a go to song when I want to experience that gut-wrenching nostalgic feeling.

Yellow

“Yellow” is one of Coldplay’s top hits, charting number four in the UK. It’s a beautiful song that captures the indescribable feeling of love. Another Coldplay classic and favorite of mine.

Trouble

This one might just be my favorite of the album. “Trouble” portrays the regret of treating someone wrongly, and stirs up the most feelings in me through Martin’s passionate vocals.

Parachutes

Short and sweet. Only 46 seconds long (and I wish it was longer), but the soothing guitar and lyrics provide a pleasant and calming feeling. “Parachutes” symbolizes safety and security.

High Speed

The instrumentals of this track are the most complex and unique of all on the album, it almost feels out of place. However in a way, this is a perfect change of pace needed for the album. It symbolizes the chaos and busyness of life.

We Never Change

The bittersweet lyrics of “We Never Change” exemplify the simplicities of life and love. This one is really mellow and charming.

Everything’s Not Lost

Last but not least, this track invokes the feeling of hope with its uplifting chorus. I really enjoy the transition from the simplistic piano at the beginning to the tuneful and upbeat guitar.

Eleanor Bond is a sophomore at NC State and new member of Her Campus! She will be writing about many topics such as pop culture, music, movies, and personal endeavors. As this is her first year in Her Campus, she looks forward to growing as a writer and developing her own style. Before joining Her Campus, Eleanor was a part of many clubs in high school such as art club and feminist club, and was a choreographer/captain for her school dance program. She is now a sophomore at NC State majoring in Communication Media with a minor in Criminology, in hopes to pursue investigative journalism in the future. Eleanor is currently a part of Fusion Dance Crew at NC State, which performs at on and off campus events. She is eager to use her interests and writing experience to begin writing for Her Campus. Eleanor was born in Apex, North Carolina with her two older sisters. She is an animal lover and grew up with many dogs, cats, and even horses. She currently works at a dog kennel where she gets to see cute pups everyday! In her free time, Eleanor enjoys shopping, watching movies, hanging out with friends, and dancing. Eleanor's favorite music genres are rock and indie.