A College Girl’s Guide to Combating Seasonal Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

When the days are shorter and it gets dark so early, it’s difficult to keep good energy and a positive attitude, especially as a college student. Here are some helpful tips to avoiding the seemingly unavoidable wintertime sadness :)

Find Fun Ways to Exercise:

Working out may not be your favorite thing in the world, but finding fun ways to stay active can significantly improve your mood. Explore low-intensity activities like yoga, dancing in your room, or following online workout videos. You can even turn cleaning into a workout by putting on some music and dancing while you tidy up your space. Remember, any form of movement counts, and it can help boost your mood!

Let the Sun In:

While staying in may be your preference, it’s important to let in as much natural light as possible. Open your curtains during the day to allow sunlight to brighten up your space. Consider rearranging your furniture to create cozy areas with plenty of natural light. Maximizing your exposure to sunlight, even from the comfort of your room, can help combat seasonal depression.

Keep a Healthy Diet:

Food can have a significant impact on your mood. Experiment with simple and healthy recipes that bring you comfort. Healthy eating doesn’t have to be complicated, and it can provide the good energy you need to tackle the winter months.

Stay Connected:

Enjoying time in doesn’t mean you have to isolate yourself entirely. Take advantage of technology to stay connected with friends and loved ones. Schedule movie nights or study sessions with your friends. Engage in online communities or forums related to your interests or hobbies. Social interaction can help combat feelings of loneliness and keep you connected with the world.

Seek Support:

If you find that your seasonal depression symptoms become overwhelming, don’t hesitate to seek support through friends, family, or even a trained professional!

You’ve got this!

Hi! I’m Mary and I’m an NCSU student who loves trying new things, going on fun adventures, ice cream, researching topics I’m interested in, traveling, spending time with friends and family, going to the beach, and of course, I like writing. I am a textile engineering major here at NC State and I hope to pursue a career in designing and manufacturing clothing for children with special needs :)