64 Ways to Make 2012 Your BEST Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
Happy New Year! It is officially 2012, the year that people have been raving about since the beginning of time – or so they say – as our final year. I highly doubt that the world will come to a firey end, especially considering that it’s already tomorrow in Australia. But JUST IN CASE it is the last year of our existence, I think we all need to live this year to the fullest. Here are 64 things you can do to make this year the big bang!

1. Say YES to something you would normally say no to.

2. Run the Krispy Kreme Challenge.

3. Give up a bad habit.

4. Go to a career fair.

5. Make amends with someone from your past.

6. Stand up for yourself.

7. Visit your old teachers; they could help you out when it comes to getting a job.

8. Call your parents and let them know how appreciative you are of them.

9. Everyday write down one thing that made you smile.

10. Send a thoughtful text message to friends that you don’t get to talk too much.

11. Go to the gym at least three times a week!

12. Start making half of your plate full of fruits and vegetables.

13. Go play in the rain or snow instead of playing it safe inside.

14. Throw a party for no reason with your friends . . . any reason is reason enough!

15. Stay in bed as late as you want…or until you have to use the restroom.

16. Make a list of all the negative things from 2011 and burn it.

17. Try a new food item instead of always getting your “regular.”

18.Strive to not miss or skip any classes until you have to.

19. Get busy in the kitchen and make a yummy dessert.

20. Follow Kirstie Alley’s 100daysofdance.com and DANCE everyday.

21. Sell something on Ebay that has been taking up space in your life.

22. Take a leisurely walk around campus and find a new favorite spot.

23. Get a camera and have a crazy photo-shoot with your favorite people!

24. Make a dinner you can be proud of for a date or your friends.

25. Give a stranger a compliment. Think her skirt is cute? TELL HER!

26. If it isn’t part of your routine, go to church one Sunday, or visit a different religion’s place of
worship.

27. Tell those you love how much you love them, as often as possible.

28. Make a list every week of things you want to accomplish, it helps!

29. Make downtime for yourself everyday.

30. Get a job. Got one? How about you go for the job you REALLY want.

31. Buy the piece of clothing everyone says looks great on you, even if you disagree.

32. Take a bath. Even if you have to go home or to a friends house to accomplish this.

33. Speak up in class when an idea jumps in your head. Even though the thought may seem like an obvious answer, you’ll be kicking yourself when someone else says it and gets praise from the teacher instead of you.

34. Save money. You’ll need it or want it when you least expect it.

35. Plan your spring break vacation! Whether you’re headed home or to the beach, you’ll be more excited about it if you already have plans with family or friends set up.

36. Have a girl’s night of movies, eating, talking about your love lives…and of course pillow fighting.

37. Take out a friend for their belated birthday – even if it was six months ago. Missed their birthday? This time you can celebrate both of yours together!

38. Clean your room from top to bottom. You’ll feel great starting off a new year knowing that everything
is in place – at least for a few days.

39. Go out of your element and try out a new hangout with a friend.

40. Attend a sporting event that you don’t have much interest in. You may just change your mind – especially if you’re with friends.

41. Take a road trip to a local university town. Chapel Hill, Greenville, Asheville, Wilmington? Experience the life of our rivals.

42. Join a club or activity on campus.

43. Pick up a minor. They really aren’t that scary after all.

44. Send your boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend, parents, siblings, or roomie a bouquet of flowers for no reason. Some places deliver even a single rose for super cheap!

45. Rent a hammock from campus recreation for a weekend and just…hang out.

46. Play an impractical joke on your roommate – but keep it safe and don’t go overboard. One is enough, unless it becomes war!

47. Go shopping. Plato’s Closet, TJ Maxx, Ross, and local thrift stores are all great places to have a fun shopping experience. If you find a great deal – that’s even better!

48. Get that tattoo or piercing you’ve always wanted.

49. Climb a tree, a roof, a guy, a fence, etc. – just get closer to the sky. Look up and know that your existence means something.

50. Do your best. Everyday. Give your all on whatever you do so that you can have no regrets.

51. Learn something new. The guitar, a dance, how to play chess, what turns your guy on, anything!

52. Go to the mall and try on something that you love but is out of your pricerange. It will at least tie you over until you can afford it, or maybe it will make you work harder to get it!

53. Do something you consider dangerous. Like bungee jumping, sky diving, riding a motorcycle, or something of the like to revive your LOVE of having your two feet on the ground.

54. Join Pinterest and make a pinboard for everything you want in your future.

55. Try out a new form of excercise. Kickboxing, Zumba, weight training, Yoga, or even trying out a sexy dance video.

56. Enter yourself in a contest. Whatever kind of contest it is doesn’t really matter. Having the potential to get placed or win because of something YOU created would be enough.

57. Take the stairs more often. I took the stairs at DH Hill one year and walked right up to the 9th floor. As soon as I sat down at a desk, the fire alarm went off. After walking down all those stairs and back up a second time, you can bet I skipped the gym that day.

58. Get artsy. Pick up a paintbrush, a pen, some beads or a spray paint can and let your imagination flow.

59. Try something new with your hair.

60. Rearrange your room for a fresh start.

61. Attend a concert, show or play.

62. Smile at the least happy looking passer-bys. You may just change their day.

63. Dress to impress more often. Looking hot will make you feel better during the ups and downs that a college day can take you on.

64. Skip class (on a day you KNOW FOR SURE that no quizzes or exams are scheduled for) and do something spontaneous that you will remember forever. Make it THAT amazing.

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!