This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Usually I’m a “cheesy romance book” kind of girl, but I think the Lord is trying to tell me something because people keep recommending books to me. So let’s get right to it! Here are 6 Christian books that are currently sitting in my amazon cart, and some Bible verses to go right along with them.

Live by Sadie Robertson with Beth Clark 

We’re starting off strong with this one! Sadie Robertson is such an inspiration to women in the faith, with such a passion and appreciation for the Lord’s creations. I don’t know about you, but I’m a huge fan of her podcast “WOAH That’s Good.” Sadie always uses her knowledge and that of her guests to cover meaningful and relevant topics with helpful scripture and simple advice. In Live, Sadie details her journey of building a fulfilling life and invites readers to do the same. “Are you truly living?” she asks. With stunning photography and captivating stories, this book seems like the total package. Learning how to celebrate every moment? How to replace temporary highs with God’s promises? Count me in! 

“You make known to me the path of life; in your presence, there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” 

Psalm 16:11

Get Out of Your Head by Jennie Allen 

I have to confess- I already bought this one! The very SECOND my friend mentioned the title of this book, I knew I had to have it. And I’m a little embarrassed (but not really) to say that I was crying after about page 30. 

Jennie Allen is a bible teacher, mom, wife, author, leader/co-founder of IF: Gathering, and must I go on?! Allen is a superwoman in the Christian community. In Get Out of Your Head Jennie details the spiritual battle constantly being fought in our minds- the struggle against toxic thoughts. I am a constant victim of the negative thoughts in my head. I spiral past God’s love for me and dive into “I’m not good enough and I never will be.” Jennie was stuck in this pattern of toxic thinking; 18 long months full of sleepless nights and devastating fear. To read about a woman with a faith as strong and as renowned as Jennie’s coming into question, not from someone else, but from herself? Heartbreaking. Her journey to taking those thoughts captive? Inspiring. This book has me determined to put a stop to the spiral of toxic thoughts. As it was recommended to and immediately bought by me, I am passing the torch with this one! 

“We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of Christ, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, …”

2 corinthians 10:5

Relationship Goals by Michael Todd

“How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex.” Is such a thing even possible? It would seem so! The number of people who have recommended this to be- astronomical. Michael Todd wrote this book based on his viral message series “Relationship Goals.” Whether you’re single, married, or it’s complicated, this is for every level of every kind of relationship. Todd discusses the idea that your relationship goals are completely skewed if they’re not aimed in the direction of God’s path for you. Oof. As a single, Chrisitan, college girl, struggling with almost every relationship I have, I definitely need the wisdom this book holds. Our culture and society tell us how our relationships should look, but the Bible says something completely different. Relationship Goals reveals the truth about relationships straight from God’s word and how to use that truth to “succeed” and have meaningful relationships. 

“For all that is in the world- the desires of the flesh, and the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life- is not of the Father but is from the world.”

1 John 2:16 

Love Does by Bob Goff and David Miller

Bob Goff? SAY LESS! This man has my heart! If you don’t believe me, check out my last article- there’s a good, juicy little quote straight from the man himself! 

One fear of mine is that I will say the wrong things to people, or I won’t be what they want me to be. And sometimes that fear stops me from trying to live how I want to live. But here comes Bob saying, “Why don’t you just try to love?” Love Does is a compilation of stories where Goff saw Jesus working in his life. He talks about the love of God and how it doesn’t come because of who we are, but because of who God is. Jesus spoke in parables and stories, so why shouldn’t Bob Goff? And the best part, Bob put his phone number in the back of the book; he wanted to be a resource constantly available to people. Now that, my friends, is the most wonderful thing I have heard in a long time. It’s time for us to recognize that we are invited to follow Jesus, and then do it. We can do some pretty spectacular things with Him by our side. 

“We love because He first loved us.”

1 John 4:19

Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely by Lysa TerKeurst

So, a friend actually recommended several Lysa TerKeurst books, but this one really called out to me. One thing I often struggle with is feeling overlooked; I’m constantly forgetting how important I am to God because of how I believe other people perceive me. In Uninvited, Lysa teaches readers how to put rejection, loneliness, and all the other good stuff that comes with those emotions in perspective. I think everyone has felt left out at one point in their life. But you know what? God never leaves us. In fact, He pursues us. We’re invited to be used by the Most High. The God who created the great lights, who spread the land across the sea, wants you. Lysa TerKeurst is here to remind us that there is an all-inclusive, faithful love that cannot be broken by anything in this world- “a love that does not reject or uninvite.” Putting this in my Amazon shopping cart right now!

“You shall be holy to me, for I the Lord am holy and have separated you from the peoples, that you should be mine.”

Leviticus 20:26

The College Girl’s Survival Guide: 52 Honest, Faith-Filled Answers to Your Biggest Concerns by Hanna Seymour 

Honesty is the best policy, and Hanna knows what’s up! I can already tell I will have this book full of notes and bookmarks to refer back to. From roommate troubles to the party scene to choosing a major, Hanna addresses the concerns almost every Christian college girl has. College is never what we expect it to be. Yes, it’s fun and free- but it’s hard. I had incredibly and unrealistically high expectations for college this year. And after about a week in, I realized just how high they were. The doubts and concerns started creeping in. While I wrestled with this, one of my mentors told me about Hanna’s book. She voiced that her college girls read it and felt like they were getting advice from an incredibly wise older sister. I’m not going to say no to that!

“The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.”

Proverbs 12:15

I hope these book recommendations tug at your heart! Reading about how God has impacted the lives of people almost 2000 years after the death and resurrection of Jesus is beautiful. Learning about His work will help you draw closer to and grow your relationship with Him. Regardless of whether or not these books tickle your fancy, there’s one book you can always turn to- the Bible. 66 books, 1,189 chapters, over 750,000 words, all there for YOU. Seek God in all things, and have peace. He is working in you. Get out of your head and get into the Word. Maybe these books will help you do just that!

Payton Duhaime is a sophomore at North Carolina State University studying Communication. As a beginner in the world of writing, Payton is driven by the people around her and her love for the Lord. She hopes to write honestly and earnestly, with a fresh perspective on the occurrences of her life! In her free time, you can find her chilling outside, listening to the Mamma Mia soundtrack, or intently reading a new devotional. With support from her family and friends, Payton’s goals are simply to live her life to the fullest and positively impact those she interacts with!
Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!