The opinions expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus.
The North Carolina State Fair is finally here – and I can’t wait to go after almost two years! The 2021 State Fair brings two new rides, multiple new vendors, and plenty of new food options. I’m definitely the most excited about all the new food choices since I mainly go to the fair for the food (it’s not the best for you, but it only comes around once a year, so who cares?)
Below I’ve listed the five new foods I’m going to try as soon as I step onto those fairgrounds this year:
- Atomic Tots: This just sounds amazing. I love tater tots, but loaded tater tots are 100% better!! Chef’s D’Lites makes these spicy seasoned tater tots with spicy cheese sauce, sweet heat shredded chicken, pepper bacon, spicy ranch, sour cream and a crispy fried hot pepper. This is definitely at the top of my list because I’m all for something spicy and like I said – it’s on tater tots!!
- Lobster Pop: So if you know me… I’m a huge seafood lover. Lobster, crabs, shrimp, you name it. This delicious-sounding delicacy comes from Oak City Fish and Chips. It is a fried lobster seasoned with a secret blend of spices served lightly battered on a stick with the bright red shell. I love any food on a stick, so this is perfect for me!
- Carolina Cowboy Roll: This one is probably going to be a bit messy, but definitely sounds amazing. Fatboys BBQ makes this deep fried eggroll with brisket, mac-n-cheese and special spices. A plus to this one is that there is a vegetarian version available, which I love since I have many vegetarian friends!
- Deep Fried Cookie Dough & Deep Fried Cookie Dough Sundae: I am a sucker for anything with cookie dough… especially deep fried cookie dough. This homemade chocolate chip cookie dough is dipped in batter and deep fried by Minneapple Pie. They also offer a sundae option, which is the deep fried cookie dough served with vanilla ice cream, dusted with powdered sugar and topped with whipped cream and sprinkles. I have the biggest sweet tooth so I am super excited for this one!
- Alcohol-Infused Gourmet Popcorn: I’m pretty excited for this one. Popcorn is probably one of my favorite snacks, so I was intrigued when I heard that this was a thing. Just Popping Around makes its premium popcorn that is inspired by spirits to wake up your taste buds. Even though the alcohol evaporates during the cooking process, the flavors still remain. I’m going to have to get a few different flavors of this popcorn to find my favorite!
There are plenty of other new food options, so I will probably end up trying those, too. These options just appealed to me the most, so hopefully I can also persuade you to try these as well! I would definitely try as much as you can because like I said, the State Fair only comes around once a year!