5 Advantages of Transferring From Community College to University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Going to community college before university was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. When I enrolled in NCSU in the fall, I arrived with an Associate’s Degree and was halfway done with my schooling. Despite the stigmas of going to community college, there are plenty of logical reasons to attend one after high school. Here are some benefits of going before applying to university.

Affordability

The main part of the stigma against community college is that it is cheaper than university. However, just because something is affordable doesn’t necessarily mean it is of lower quality. You can get a quality education that costs less. 

In 2023, the average community college cost is $3,970 per academic year. Meanwhile, in 2023 the average cost to attend a four-year college university is $26,027. If you want to get a bachelor’s or a master’s degree, going to community college for a couple of years first will save you thousands overall. You can also save on both tuition and housing costs if you attend one that is local to your hometown.

EASIER TRANSITION TO COLLEGE LIFE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL

It is normal to not still know what you want to do after high school, and sometimes the career of your choice may only require an associate’s degree or certification. Community college is a way to get the general prerequisites you’d need to take for most degrees and figure out which path you wish to take. Classes are also smaller than most universities, and generally less competitive.

fLEXIBILITY

Classes are smaller than most universities and generally less competitive. Usually, there are also more times to choose from, which allows you to pick times that are more convenient to your schedule. Community colleges also tend to offer more online options for a diverse range of programs. Although universities are starting to provide more online options for their programs, the options are still rather limited compared to community colleges.

Jobs & Internships

If you transfer to a university with an associate degree or certificate, this can help broaden your horizons. It can help with part-time job hunting and summer internships you might seek out while finishing your bachelor’s or master’s degree. In a competitive market, this will boost your chances of getting the opportunities you are applying for.

Easier admissions process & a 2nd chance

Community colleges are much easier to get into than universities. Whether your grades weren’t the best in high school or didn’t do well on the SAT, there is no need to worry! Community colleges do not care what your SAT or ACT score is, let alone your GPA. However, depending on the school you might have to take some basic education courses before taking more advanced classes related to your program. Community college is an opportunity to improve your academic skills and education, whether you choose to enroll in university or not. 

In high school, Kaitlyn Potts wrote interviews and movie reviews for a magazine run by her childhood neighborhood. Before she even applied to NCSU, she started to write for The Free Pack in October of 2022. New to the chapter, she is grateful for the opportunity provided by Her Campus and is looking forward to writing for the online magazine. She is also a Staff Writer for Up & Coming Weekly, and an Editorial Intern for Kidsville News. Kaitlyn plans to write about her interests, experiences, current events, and whatever comes to mind. Kaitlyn is a non-traditional transfer student who enrolled at North Carolina State University in August of 2023. In July of 2023, she graduated from Fayetteville Technical Community College with an Associate in Arts degree. At FTCC she joined The National Honors Society of Leadership and Success (Sigma Alpha Pi) and Phi Theta Kappa, a prestigious honor society for community college students. Right now, Kaitlyn is studying to receive a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, and intends to Minor in Chinese Studies. She is also in NCSU's Honors Program and was accepted the first year that NCSU allowed transfer students into the program. To summarize her interests, Kaitlyn enjoys music and singing. Music she enjoys includes Korean Pop, Metal, Indie, Alternative, Dance, and Oldies. She appreciates a diverse range of material in the horror genre and macabre. Kaitlyn also enjoys adult cartoons such as King of the Hill and South Park. Kaitlyn is an ISTJ under the MBTI Indicator. For those who like Astrology, she is a Scorpio.