Life > Experiences

4 Ways You Can Give Back to the Community this Holiday Szn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Christmas time is my favorite time of the year. Gift giving and receiving is my love language, and for a month, give or take, it feels like everyone is speaking my love language. Not only do I love to receive gifts during this time, I also like to find ways to give back (acts of service is my other top love language). Growing up, my mom always stressed the balance between appreciating the gifts we received but also giving our time or donations to those in need. In light of giving season, I made a short list of things I’ve done to give back to the community, just in case you’re looking to be a bit extra generous during the holidays!

Donate to a Food Pantry

Food pantries are places where those experiencing food insecurity can receive items to feed themselves and their families. You might have heard of  NC State’s food pantry, Feed the Pack. They provide both perishable and some non-perishable items to students or other members of the NC State Community. They have multiple drop-off points, but the main pantry is located in North Hall. Some of their urgent needs are canned soup, pasta, rice, breakfast food, snacks, beans and pet food. 

You can find more information about Feed The Pack here

Donate Clothes

If you’re like me, you have a huge pile of clothes you’ve been “meaning” to get rid of, but just haven’t gotten around to it. Whether that’s to sell online or drop off at a place like Plato’s closet or Uptown Cheapskate, the pile keeps getting bigger, and your will to take individual photos of each item or wait for hours to get a tiny bit of cash at a resale store dwindles. 

Instead, donate the clothes! So many people can benefit from clothing donations, especially cold weather items since the temps are finally dropping. Here are some places you can drop off donations in the Raleigh area:

Dorcas Ministries

Cause for Paws

Goodwill (there are a ton of locations around Raleigh!) 

Dress For Success (accepting work appropriate clothing for women entering the workforce)

Donate to a Women’s Shelter

Women’s shelters provide much needed support for women and their children experiencing unstable environments, such as domestic violence or homelessness. 

Places like the Wake County Women’s Shelter provide a safe, stable environment for marginalized adult single women in the Raleigh area so they can heal from trauma as a result of human trafficking, domestic violence, homelessness, and more.

You can help by donating a variety of care and hygiene items to meet the needs of these marginalized women. As of November 2023, there is an urgent need for sports bras, backpacks or rolling suitcases, throw blankets, umbrellas and unused makeup, but there are plenty of items on the list, which you can view here.

Sponsor an Angel Through the Angel Tree Program

The Angel Tree program was created by the Salvation Army and helps children in need receive gifts on Christmas when they normally wouldn’t have due to financial circumstances. 

After determining level of need, families are asked to make a Christmas list for their children. These lists are put onto cards and hung on a large Christmas tree in the mall, where shoppers can select a child or multiple children to sponsor. They then buy what’s on the list, and turn in the gifts by a certain date, so that the kids will have them by December 25th. 

Crabtree Valley Mall is the closest Angel Tree to NC State, and they are collecting donations until December 10, 2023. This is definitely a pricier option, but I wanted to include it because it is such a gratifying experience. Though you won’t be able to see your angel’s reaction to their gifts on Christmas morning, it is so rewarding knowing that you played a part in making someone’s life just a little more magical. To me, that’s what the holiday season is about!

You can find more information about the Angel Tree Program here.

There are so many ways you can give back during the holiday season; these are just a few of the things that I’ve done. I hope these got you thinking about ways to make you and yours’ holiday a little more magic. Happy Holidays!

Dahlia Bagley is a senior at NC State University and this is her fourth year writing for Her Campus. A lover of music, film, fashion, and pop culture commentary, Dahlia loves to share playlists, movie recommendations, trend predictions and anything else that piques her interest. Dahlia is studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and has a minor in both Spanish and English, meaning she is constantly talking, often in Spanglish. In her freetime, Dahlia enjoys shopping, reading, skincare, and spending time with friends. An avid creative writer, Dahlia has written countless poems and short stories, which she hopes to one day have the nerve to publish. Always on a quest for knowledge (read: random facts that will never come up organically in conversation), she also enjoys watching video essays and reading about various historical events. Though born in Boston, Massachusetts, Dahlia considers herself from Charlotte, North Carolina, where she has spent most of her life. When not in Raleigh for college, she is spending time at home with her parents, two sisters, and her wonderful dog, Vader.