Style > Fashion

2022 Trends that I think are Overrated, Underrated, or Justified

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

Prepare for some unpopular opinions.

Underrated: Uggs

Whether you’re into the “Fluff Yeah” slippers, the new Classic Minis, or the OG ribbons or buttons, I think Uggs are the ultimate college girl winter shoe. They’re so easy to slip on, and, no matter the color, go with anything. Whether you’re trying to make a statement or just want to be comfy, you won’t regret investing in them.

Overrated: Disposable Cameras

As fun as it is to pop out a plastic film camera to take a few flicks, I don’t think they’re worth the money and time it takes to develop them. I prefer using apps that mimic the disposable vibe like Dispo or Huji Cam. 

Justified: Claw Clips

Call me basic, but I think claw clips are iconic. They give both effortless and put together energy to an outfit, especially when you color coordinate. I got a variety pack from Amazon for less than 15 dollars, but they are also available at Target or Urban Outfitters. The only downside is that they dig into the back of my head when I’m driving.

Underrated: Having a Signature Scent

Having a perfume or scent that is uniquely you is one of my favorite ways to feel put together. You can find your signature scent by first deciding the overall smell you like: fruity, clean, floral, etc. I have been stuck on vanilla since I was in middle school and upgraded from Vanilla Bean Noel from Bath and Body Works to a roll-on vanilla essential oil. On nights out or dates, I layer with YSL’s Black Opium (A travel size because I don’t want to pay 80 dollars for an eau de parfum), which has a sugar, berry, and vanilla scent. You can also match your shower products to smell extra good.

Overrated: Tote Bags

I like the look of a canvas tote as much as the next girl, but every time I use one, I can’t find anything I need. When I go to grab lip balm, I pull out a roller ball. When I go to grab my airpods, I pull out a leaking Bath and Body Works hand sanitizer. All the space in a tote is great in theory, but with no way to organize, everything’s all jumbled. If you’re committed to the look, I’d recommend adding smaller bags or pouches to store all the little things, that way they’re easier to access.

Justified: Puffer Coats

Both fashionable and functional, a puffer coat should be a staple in every college girl’s wardrobe this winter. I practically live in my black puffer from Amazon, and have considered other colors to add a little extra pizazz to the leggings and sweatshirts I wear on the daily.

Dahlia Bagley is a senior at NC State University and this is her fourth year writing for Her Campus. A lover of music, film, fashion, and pop culture commentary, Dahlia loves to share playlists, movie recommendations, trend predictions and anything else that piques her interest. Dahlia is studying Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and has a minor in both Spanish and English, meaning she is constantly talking, often in Spanglish. In her freetime, Dahlia enjoys shopping, reading, skincare, and spending time with friends. An avid creative writer, Dahlia has written countless poems and short stories, which she hopes to one day have the nerve to publish. Always on a quest for knowledge (read: random facts that will never come up organically in conversation), she also enjoys watching video essays and reading about various historical events. Though born in Boston, Massachusetts, Dahlia considers herself from Charlotte, North Carolina, where she has spent most of her life. When not in Raleigh for college, she is spending time at home with her parents, two sisters, and her wonderful dog, Vader.