20 Random Things to See and do Every Year at NC State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

There are some events at NC State that are pretty cool and you will not want to miss. And despite how amazing they are, you still may not know about some of these things no matter how long you’ve been here.

1.  The Herpetology Club puts on a demonstration with all kinds of reptiles and amphibians.
 You can go and put a snake around you or hang out with an iguana.  Don’t worry, its not dangerous.

2.  The local veterinary facilities at North Carolina State University gives tours.  You can get a tour of the local veterinary facility.  I’m not sure whether they allow individual tours.  However, you can contact them to see if they have any group tours planned.  The pre-veterinary club and some other animal clubs go see veterinary clinics and hospitals as part of their club.

3.  Go see the piano in the Caldwell Lounge.  I love listening to the music in the lounge with the piano in the corner and the overall feel and appearance of the lounge itself.

4.  See the Bell Tower, obviously. This has to be on the list because it is a landmark and symbol of NC State.  A good time to see it is after a football team victory when it is lit up with a NC State red glow.

5.  Visit the greenhouse near David Clark Labs and Mary Anne Fox if you
like plants.
 You could also check out The Artists’ Backyard located between Owen and Turlington residence halls.

6.  The red and white soccer classic held every spring.  Contact Kelly Cox and Josh Knight at redandwhiteclassic@gmail.com.

7.  If it snows this school year, then you’ll just have to go play in the snow in the Court of Carolina. There is always a huge snowball fight and people trying to sled on make-shift sleds. Hopefully, it will snow.  Keep hoping for snow.

8.  The Krispy Kreme Challenge.  I personally wouldn’t run this race because I couldn’t imagine running two miles, eating a dozen donuts, and then run two more miles being all that healthy.  But if you want to do it, make sure you buy your tickets early because spots run out pretty quickly!

9.  Check out the vault at the library.  It is in the special collections section of the library.  All you have to do is e-mail special collections to make an appointment.  The vault has unique and fragile documents in different areas of study! Yep, we just went all National Treasure on you.

10. Take Back the Night; support victims of rape and domestic violence. Check out information from last year’s Take Back The Night at http://www.hercampus.com/school/ncsu/wolfpack-unite-take-back-night. Check out photos from last year’s Take Back The Night at http://www.hercampus.com/school/ncsu/we-owned-night.

11.  The women’s soccer team at NC State for soccer lovers. Our girls got it going on!

12.  The farmer’s market at NC State in the brickyard every Wednesday. They have everything from local produce to jewelry and delicious homemade cookies!

13.  The annual Dog Day Run hosted by the NC State Veterinary School. Bring your cute dogs and go for a leisurely jog with the community dog lovers!

14.  The bamboo bistro in front of Kilgore Hall.  This bistro is made completely of organic materials like bamboo splits and was created by horticulture landscape students. Bring lunch, or read a book while you relax in this make-shift jungle in the city.

15.  Read the articles that we, the Her Campus at NC State writers, write for your enjoyment! 

16. Swim in the pool at Carmichael Gym when its a hot day outside or try out the sauna on a cold winter night. 

17.  The Women’s Gymnastics team at NC State.  Go to their meets and support them at competitions!

18.  Visit every part of campus whether you see the campus all in one day or over the school year.  You may find a place that you like, but don’t come by every day. There are so many unique places and architectual features around campus that you may never discover if you don’t change up your route!

19.  Take a dance class at NC State.  There are various dance classes at NC State.  Some are low-commitment, some have low-stress environments, some are also free.  So join a dance class at NC State!

20.  Take the outdoor adventure leadership course sponsored by the Physical Education Department and Carmichael Gymnasium if you want to have some adventure.

Campus Correspondent and Founder of Her Campus NCSU - kristiedemers@hercampus.com Kristie Demers is a Senior English major at North Carolina State University. When she isn't studying or busy working on campus, Kristie enjoys running, writing, reading, photography, and painting. She volunteered as an athletic trainer for the Cheerleading team freshman year and developed an unwavering devotion for the Wolfpack. This Wisconsin natives passions include traveling, spending time with family and friends, and loving even the little things in life. Although she is down to earth and loves making people smile, Kristie is hard working and welcomes challenges. All that this happy-go-lucky girl dreams for the future is to write for a magazine and live at the beach. In the meantime, her heart lies in the bricks at N.C. State and beats with every chime of the Bell Tower!