Culture > News

100 Years Voting and Why You Should Care About the ERA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

100 years ago, on August 18th, 1920, one of the most significant steps towards equality was made. The 19th amendment was ratified and added to the constitution, which gave women the right to vote so they could finally have a voice in politics. This movement was led by groups of women suffragists since the time of the Civil War era. It took them nearly 100 years to finally get this right for all of us now.

Considering that it was 100 years ago, it is crucial to consider the progress women have continued to make in society. We now see women CEOs, politicians, business owners, and many other women in high places within society that 100 years ago would have been scoffed at for having dreams outside being a stay at home mother. 

We have made tremendous leaps and bounds in the last 100 years, but change still needs to be made. In film and advertisement, the average woman is objectified and made into a sexual object, and the strict ideals of what women should look like are everywhere. You rarely see a woman in a movie or television show whose primary purpose is anything outside being the love interest. 

There is still a long path until full equality and steps need to be continued to be taken. The next huge step that needs to be taken is the national ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. The Equal Rights Amendment dates to 1923 when Alice Paul and Crystal Eastman introduced this amendment to congress. The ERA would guarantee equal legal rights for all citizens despite their sex. This would allow sex not to come into question in legal matters such as divorce, employment, property, and many other legal matters. 

This would enable women not to experience discrimination under any legal circumstance. The ERA is the next crucial step because, without this amendment, women are not privy to fair treatment, such as proper working conditions and employment hours.

This is your call as a woman to rise up and make a significant change. Do what you can in your area to have the Equal Rights Amendment passed. Stand up and stand proud against the negative ideals that society poses against women.

100 years ago we received the right to vote, and there is still progress to be made. Most importantly, do not be afraid to speak up. Go out and vote. Sign petitions. Advocate for what matters to you, because what you say truly matters.

Madi Mrzygod

NC State U '22

Hello all! I am a Junior majoring in Criminology with a minor in Law and Justice. I want to go to law school after I graduate to help start my path of pursuing my political dreams of ending up in the Senate one day. Some women who have inspired me and helped shaped me into the person I am today are Ilhan Omar, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. They have taught me that fighting for what you care for is what matters most, and all it takes is some hard work and determination, and you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. There is all the reason in the world to fight for what you believe in; you just need passion.
Hi! My name is Isabella Castineyra, I am a senior majoring in communication media with minors in journalism and criminology. I am from Boston originally, so I am all for Boston sports teams (go Pats)! I love taking naps, listening to Billy Joel, and rewatching the same shows over and over again. Go Pack!!