10 Thrifty and Affordable Costume Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.

It’s almost time for Halloween and if you haven’t decided what to be yet. Don’t worry, you can just rummage through your closet or visit your local thrift store for these thrifty costume ideas that won’t break your bank!

1. Wtich

Witches are the queens of Halloween. The best part about being a witch is that you can be as creative as you want with the outfit as long as you have that trademark hat on. You can go with a long skirt for a more conservative look or a short skirt for a sexier version. Take a pair of scissors and cut sharp triangles into the skirt, giving it that “witch” look. Add a pointed hat, broom, stripped stockings, and some black shoes. For a simpler witch costume, just throw on your favorite black dress and add the witch hat. Oh…and the green skin and long nose is not obligatory.

2. School Girl/Nerd

Dressing as a school girl for Halloween is a fun costume that will surely catch the eye of a few guys. Find a pleated plaid skirt that you like. You can wear a solid color pleated skirt too if you can’t find a plaid one. Wear a white button up shirt and knot it at the bottom to show some skin if you want to. Wear some knee high socks and cute shoes. Tie is optional. Add thick-rimmed glasses with tape for that nerdy look.

3. Nurse/Doctor 

If you don’t want to be stuck wearing high heels all Halloween, be a nurse! Scrubs are amazingly comfortable and they come in all different patterns and colors. First, find some scrubs that you like and wear comfortable shoes. If you’re aiming for a doctor, add a stethoscope, latex gloves, and a face mask.

4. Greek Goddess

5. Country Girl

6. Gender Bender

7. Gothic Girl

8. Pageant Queen/Princess

9. Ms. Wuf

10. Zombie 

Images:
Polyvore.com