Culture > News

10 Reasons Not to Vote for Trump in the 2020 Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCSU chapter.
He is racist.

Check out this New York Times article of a timeline of all the times he has publicly made racist remarks as early as the 70’s. 

Opinion | Donald Trump’s Racism: The Definitive List, Updated (Published 2018) 

Here is one specific quote he said when referring to black employees working in his casinos: “Black guys counting my money! I hate it. … I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks.”

He is sexist.

Here is a really intriguing journal article analyzing Donald Trump’s sexist ideology.

A Critical Discourse Analysis of Donald Trump’s Sexist Ideology

“If Hillary Clinton can’t satisfy her husband, what makes her think she can satisfy America?” -Donald Trump

He is homophobic and transphobic.

Check out this journal article by Cambridge Core detailing Trump’s history of homophobia and transphobia.

He has had shady dealings with overseas enemies, specifically Russia.

Here is a link to the official Mueller report on the Russian interference in the 2016 election

We cannot trust him with money.

We cannot trust him with money and he will not show us any of his tax returns. He also only paid $750 in federal income taxes in 2017, but yet is apparently worth $2.5 billion. Here is a BBC article detailing the little information we know about his taxes. 

Trump’s taxes: What you need to know

His controversial statements. 

He literally said, “I could stand in the middle of 5th avenue and shoot someone” and wouldn’t lose any voters.

Donald Trump: ‘I Could … Shoot Somebody, And I Wouldn’t Lose Any Voters’

The COVID Crisis

He is partially responsible for over 200,000 COVID-related deaths in America and knew it was a big deal in the very beginning, yet lied about it to Americans. He is also an anti-masker and wants to get rid of Obamacare in the midst of a pandemic. Here is a link to the NPR interview in which Trump said, “It goes through air, Bob. That’s always tougher than the touch. You know, the touch – you don’t have to touch things, right? But the air – you just breathe the air. That’s how it’s passed. And so that’s a very tricky one. That’s a very delicate one. It’s also more deadly than your – you know, your – even your strenuous flus.

Trump Knew Seriousness Of The Coronavirus Early On, New Book Says

He is a rapist.

Here is a list of all of the sexual assault and misconduct allegations about the president. 

The full list of women who have accused Donald Trump of sexual assault

There is even a book titled, “All the President’s Women: Donald Trump and the Making of a Predator” that includes over 100 interviews with women who have come forward with their stories.

He Refused to Denounce White Supremacy.

(AT THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE) and the KKK, and told the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by”.

From Debate Stage, Trump Declines To Denounce White Supremacy

He prioritizes popularity. 

He cares way too much about his popularity and places it and his status above health, safety, and human decency. He also cannot keep his hands off his personal twitter account and frequently retweets inappropriate and inaccurate tweets from other accounts.

Fact Checking Trump’s False Claims on Twitter

BONUS: He said that if he wasn’t related to his daughter, he would be dating her…

like um how could anyone vote for this man…

This quote is also from the analysis on Trump’s sexist ideology 

“She does have a very nice figure. I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her…..Yeah, Ivanka is really something and what a beauty that one….if I weren’t happily married and, you know, her father, I would be dating her. My daughter, she’s six feet tall; she’s got the best body. She made a lot of money as a model-a tremendous amount”

Hi! My name is Lili and I am a senior at state. I am majoring in microbiology with a minor in forensic science. Some of my hobbies include reading, writing, playing soccer, watching Netflix, and playing with my dog!
Junior at NCSU majoring in Communication Media Lover of strawberry ice cream and classic rock VP of Her Campus NCSU