Snapshot of Summer 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

It’s the first day of fall and we’re feeling a little nostalgic about seeing summer leave us so soon. Despite being drenched in sweat and swatting at bugs all season, Summer 2016 was one for the books.  Let’s reminisce on all of the unforgettable moments of the season.

Kim Kardashian exposes Taylor Swift on snapchat.

We’re all familiar with the Taylor Swift vs. Kanye West beef that dates back to the 2004 VMAs in which Kanye abruptly interrupts Swift’s acceptance speech. However, in mid-July the beef flares up again and sends social media into a craze. Kim Kardashian reportedly releases a series of snapchat videos documenting a phone call that Taylor claimed never even happened. Messy, messy.  

Drake and Rihanna are rumored to be dating.

Drake and Rihanna are arguably the most ‘shipped’ couple of the year, and after Drake openly admits his love for Rih at the 2016 Video Music Awards, the dating rumors swarm the internet. We would love to see this sassy duo make it official!

Melania Trump plagiarizes a speech.

Prospective First Lady, Melania Trump gives a speech at the 2016 Republican National Convention. Her speech sounds eerily similar to that of one given by Michelle Obama, a few years prior. Melania’s speech sounds SO eerily similar to that of one given by the First Lady, we think she plagiarized a whole paragraph.

Frank Ocean comes back from the dead and releases an album after a 4 year hiatus.

We’ve been crying out for a follow-up album from Frank since we all fell head over heels in love with Channel Orange. However, after a stream of false release dates, Ocean fans went into panic mode. After 1,460 days, Frank finally calms the storm.

Colin Kaepernick publicly protests.

Colin Kaepernick, the Quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers chooses to publicly protest during the national anthem through his refusal to stand. He claims he will not pledge allegiance to a country that openly oppresses people of color. Angry fans proceed to burn Kaepernick jerseys.

Beyonce and Blue Ivy snatched all of our edges at the VMAs.

This mommy-daughter duo slayed the 2016 VMA red carpet adorned in sequins. The Queen Bey was also Queen of Nominations as she was up for 11 awards and took home 8 of them.

So long Summer 2016. It’s been real. #HCXO

Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”