The Renaissance Man: Michael Hopkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

Very few have what it takes to be dubbed a Renaissance man, it’s not something that can be achieved over night. It requires a broad base of knowledge, many interests, and an array of talents. Michael Hopkins, a Junior from Raleigh, North Carolina has effortlessly claimed his title as The Renaissance Man. He has proven to all of us that can he is outstandingly well-rounded, well-balanced, and well-educated. 

Over the last year, I’ve had the pleasure of calling Michael Hopkins my friend. In his time here at NCCU, he has scrambled to take advantage of every opportunity granted to him in an effort to ensure a fruitful exploration of all that college has to offer — which often results in him being overwhelmingly busy. He manages to tackle all of his interests through classes, internships, and campus involvement. It is a wonder how his many commitments haven’t dampened his positive outlook and unwavering good humor, as he also makes time for his social life. 

Michael does everything from planning amazing campus events with the Student Activities Board, to focusing on brotherhood and philanthropy as a member of  Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., to maintaining a high GPA in the University Honors Program and developing useful leadership skills with the Centennial Scholars Program. On top of his campus involvement, he manages to succeed in the classroom as a Pharmaceutical Science major with intentions of obtaining a Ph.D in Cancer Biology when he graduates. Hopkins wants to become a scientist and a professor at an HBCU, he hopes to help other African American college students achieve their goals. 

This summer, he landed a competitve research internship at UC Berkeley and he is currently serving as your 2016-2017 Student Activities Board President. It’s not hard to feel a little envious of Michael or, at the very least, impressed. I am full-fledgedly both. So, without further ado, I give you a glimpse into the fascinating mind of Michael Hopkins.

How do you balance schoolwork and campus involvement? There’s an old saying that in college there are three ideal goals:

1) good grades    

2) maintaining an extracurriculars/social life

3) sleep,

and you can only have two of the three. I sacrifice a lot of sleep for the things that I love because they’re more important to me than a full night of sleep. You might as well make the most of your college experience while you can.

As SAB President, what was your vision/hope for Homecoming? My vision for homecoming is to provide the most complete and total authentic HBCU Homecoming Experience. The Ultimate Homecoming Experience is about the excitement, love, and celebration of NCCU. Therefore the point of the entire week is to leave students with the lasting thought “I love my HBCU!”

How would you describe the Ultimate Homecoming Experience? The Ultimate Homecoming Experience is the most authentic and wholesome HBCU experience you will ever encounter. It combines soulful gospel concerts with the most lit rap/hip hop concert in the state. It incorporates classic traditions with current renditions, it combines new eagles from the class of 2020 with golden eagles from the class of 1966. It encompasses everything you love about the black college experience into one action packed week long party. The Ultimate Homecoming Experience will be the best week of your life. 

Favorite Homecoming event? Anyone who knows me knows that Late Night Breakfast is my all time favorite event. It’s the only time you can catch a twerk and a pancake in the same place. I saw someone swag surfing with a piece of bacon in their hand. It doesn’t get any better than that!

Why do you love NCCU? I love NCCU because I never feel more completely at home than when I’m on the sloping hills and verdant green. I’ve made lifelong friendships at NCCU and I’ve been granted amazing opportunities to help myself succeed inside and outside of the classroom. NCCU has granted me the opportunity to find myself, to discover my passions, to pursue my goals, to believe in myself, and to accomplish my dreams. I love my HBCU!

What’s your favorite thing about attending an HBCU? My favorite thing about attending an HBCU is being able to see the diversity within our community. I love to see black people defying stereotypes and coming together to achieve greatness. I love the experience of being submerged in Black culture and developing my identity as a Black man. I wouldn’t trade my HBCU experience for all of the diplomas in the world. 

Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”