6 Black Women You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

Black Girl Magic is real, we’ve proven that time and time again. Here are 6 Black Women with so much magic, we just had to share! #HCXO

1. Chloe and Halle

If you watched Beyonce’s groundbreaking visual album, “Lemonade,” you might have noticed two teenage girls on the verge of superstardom. They are Atlanta-born sisters Chloe and Halle Bailey, just 17 and 16 years old, respectively, and they have already gained more fame than most aspiring musicians. Discovered on YouTube, where the duo go by the name of Chloe x Halle, their a cappella cover of “Pretty Hurts” by Beyoncé went viral and drew the attention of the Queen B herself. Last year, Beyoncé signed the sister duo to her management company, Parkwood Entertainment, for a reported $1 million deal for six albums.

2. Janelle Monae

Six-time Grammy winner, artist, entertainer and Covergirl, Janelle Monáe, who’s made magic with famous and talented artists including Prince and Erykah Badu, is making big waves with her psychedelic soul, pop, rhythm and blues, but even more so with her politics. Her powerful lyrics and thematic issues pack a punch. As a celebrity, and a woman of color, she takes her social responsibility seriously. Always stylin’ a tuxedo as an honor to her humble upbringing and family, and also challenging standard dress norms for women, Monáe is our hero.

3. Amandla Stenberg

At an age when most young women are seeking out mentors, 17-year-old Hunger Games star, Amandla Stenberg is already a role model. Last year, “Don’t Cash Crop My Cornrows,” a video on cultural misappropriation that she made as a school project, went viral. Nearly 2 million views on YouTube and an appearance on Oprah’s SuperSoul Sessions later, Stenberg is embracing the scope of her voice, which is only growing: this fall, she’s headed to New York University where she plans to study directing and she currently stars in Stella McCartney’s fragrance campaign for Pop.

4. Tracee Ellis Ross

Born with a silver spoon in her mouth, thanks to her diva of a mother, Diana Ross. Like mother, like daughter, Tracee can’t help but shine. She’s a former model and contributing fashion editor for the now folded Mirabella magazine. Her knowledge of fashion is clear. Tracee has no stylist and is always impeccably dressed. We were first introduced to Tracee Ellis Ross on the hit show “Girlfriends,” and immediately, became fans of her beautiful natural hair, quirky charm and vibrant personality. Social media gave Tracee’s fans even more access to her sunny disposition, stylish whims and deep and provocative thoughts.

5. Elaine Welteroth

Elaine Welteroth has recently been named editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue. Talk about a #BlackGirlMagic moment! Welteroth, 29, who has served as the magazine’s Beauty and Health Director since October 2012, will replace the glossy’s founding editor. This exciting promotion makes Welteroth the youngest person to be appointed to the title of editor-in-chief in Conde Nast history. She is also only the second African-American to ever hold the title in the company’s 107 year existance.  Before landing at Teen Vogue, the California-native was Senior Beauty Editor at Glamour, and prior to that held the title of Beauty and Style Editor at Ebony.

6. Cipriana Quann and TK Wonder

The Quann sisters are American and live in New York. Cipriana is the co-founder of the celebrated lifestyle blog “Urban Bush Babes” which, among other topics, celebrates the beauty of natural hair. Takenya, aka TK Wonder, is an electronic music artist. Their sense of style and their outrageous beauty have seduced many, judging by the number of brands that are fighting over them. Between advertising campaigns for the Gap, And Other Stories (a subsidiary of H&M), and interviews for VogueThe New York Times, Refinery 29, as well as The Coveteur, I think we haven’t heard the last of them.

Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”