5 Reasons to Love Your HBCU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

Attending a Historically Black College and University is an experience like no other, from the divine nine strolling across the yard, to Homecoming (better known as an annual week-long holiday). We all binge watch A Different World on Netflix, we’ve seen Drumline so many times we can probably recite it in our sleep, and School Daze is a classic that we all hold close to our heart. HBCUs are one of a kind — you can’t get the same experiences anywhere else. Yet, there is still an ongoing debate about the relevance and productivity of Historically Black Colleges. it’s important to stay true to our HBCU pride in a time where our schools are blatantly disregarded, funding is at an all-time low, and outsiders look at us through a negative lens. Here are five reasons to love your Historically Black College.

1. The HBCU Network, aka your Extended Family

Have you ever worn your school’s apparel to a Wal-Mart and had older adults stop you to say that they graduated in 1936? The HBCU network is real and it offers an immediate bond, whether you’re networking with people from your class or alum from the golden age. HBCU Pride doesn’t fade with a degree — I know you all see the 70-something year olds that randomly appear at Homecoming reminiscing over their days on the drumline.  Being black and graduating with a class that not only looks like you but shares similar ambitions of world domination is a beautiful thing. It creates a bond and a family that you can only receive at an HBCU.

2. The History and Traditions

I don’t know about you, but it gives me chills to think that I’m walking the same campus that so many great figures in history once walked. HBCUs have cultivated so many rich traditions and have been the home for many graduates that have gone on to pave the way for us. Attending an HBCU is a humbling experience to say the least.

3. Every class is a Black History class.

Remember in secondary school, when learning about your history was limited to 28 days of the entire school year, 29 if you were extra lucky? Well, you don’t have to worry about that anymore. Every class at an HBCU incorporates Black History, so you’re bound to leave with a richer knowledge of our history.

4. HBCUs do big things.

Despite people questioning if HBCUs are still needed, we constantly prove that our students and alumni serve the community, impact professional industries and lead progressive movements. According to the newest data from an ongoing Gallup-Purdue University study, graduates of Historically Black Colleges and Universities are signifiantly more likely to have felt supported while in college and to succeed after graduation than their black peers who graduated from predominantly white institutions. 

5. The Swag Surf is legendary.

If you leave a major HBCU function without swag surfing, you’re doing it wrong. It’s HBCU tradition. 

Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”