4 Black Films to Watch this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCCU chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner and we don’t know about you, but we’re tired of the same oh “black person always dies first” cliche horror films.

Black Horror films form a niche that has been under-exposed for decades, although their low budgets and uneven quality might have something to do with that. Still, quite a few have bucked the trend and provided quality entertainment. 

So, we’ve compiled a list of 4 horror films with predominantly black casts for you to watch this Halloween season!

1. Vampire in Brooklyn

In the wake of her mother’s death in a mental institution, detective Rita Veder (Angela Bassett) is assigned to a baffling serial murder case. After examining the crime scene — a corpse-filled ship found adrift at sea — Rita meets Maximilian (Eddie Murphy), a smooth-talking Caribbean playboy determined to romance her. When Rita begins suffering from crippling hallucinations, she calls upon Dr. Zeko, an occultist who suspects a vampire is on the loose.

2. Bones

Jimmy Bones (Snoop Dogg) is a legendary protector and patron of his thriving neighborhood. Cool, handsome and respected – Bones is the benevolent caretaker of his people until he is betrayed by those closest to him. Flash forward 20 years. Crime and drugs have crumbled the neighborhood and Jimmy Bones has become a charismatic emblem of better times. But his spirit is about to make a comeback.

3. Tales from the Hood

A creepy mortician, Mr. Simms (Clarence Williams III), attempts to scare teenage drug dealer Stack (Joe Torry) and his friends straight by telling them four horrifying stories. One is about a guilt-riddled cop (Anthony Griffith) who goes crazy after ignoring his corrupt partner (Michael Massee). He also tells of a meek schoolboy (Brandon Hammond) with terrifying supernatural powers. Although the young thugs want to take their drugs and escape Mr. Simms, he still has two more tales to tell.

4. Def by Temptation

Joel (James Bond III), a quiet divinity student from North Carolina, starts to question his faith. So he heads to New York to visit his friend K (Kadeem Hardison), a struggling actor, who takes him out bar-hopping. They meet a gorgeous seductress (Cynthia Bond) who turns out to be a succubus, a demon spirit luring black lotharios to their deaths. When she sets her eyes on Joel, K turns to the help of Dougie (Bill Nunn), a drunken cop who specializes in supernatural investigations.

……………………..

Hello! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Central University studying Biology with a concentration in Secondary Education. I'm an aspiring science teacher, part-time flower child, self-proclaimed book worm, and studying feminist. “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”