Why There Needs to Be a Black Bachelor and Bachelorette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

The bachelor has been running on ABC for 20 seasons. The bachelorette for 11 seasons. Within the combined 14 years of the shows existence, not one of the chosen bachelors or bachelorettes have been African American. When will the show grant some lucky African American male or female a chance at love? There needs to be an African American contestant on the show to reveal to America that we have the ability to act classy and mature enough to be shown on such a popular network as ABC.

For the most part  black people are confined to the shallow reality shows on VH1 that show the African American community as cady and disrespectful towards one another. The exposure to such a popular, and for the most part family friendly network, would display that there are a plethora of African Americans that are successful, educated, have morals, and mature mannerisms.

Every black women does not pull weave and use the B-word excessively and every black man isn’t doing drugs or leaving their families. Unfortunately, that is how they are portrayed and that is how white America internalizes their perception on the African American community. Personally, I think that’s the reason why there hasn’t been a black bachelor or bachelorette.

In the words of DJ Khaled, “They don’t want to see you be great.” I think the makers of the show are not ready to air a positive side to black people just yet. With a two termed black president and basically our unofficial queen- Beyonce- when will the time come? When will black people being shown in an admirable light on reality television?

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.