Their Music Will Live On…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

“A life without music would be a world without color.” Unlike many things, music is timeless. It is intriguing to hear different beats, rhythms, harmonies, and melodies. We have musicians to thank for sharing their awesome musical talents with the rest of the world.

There are so many music legends who have passed, but their work will never be forgotten. Whether their style of music was rap, hip-hop, r&b, soul, pop, and more, they were astonishing. From the instrumentation to the voice of the artist, music has and never will be the same.

Here are a few artists who have passed away but their music still has an impact on the world today.

1. Prince recently passed away on April 21, 2016. He was known for his incredible instrumentation as well as his lyrics. Prince learned to play 27 instruments. He was considered a guitar legend and a master of drums, percussions, bass, keyboards, and synthesizers. His style of music was considered to be funk, pop, r&b, and rock. Prince’s music related to people of all different backgrounds. Some of his number one hits include “Purple Rain,” “When Doves Cry,” “Let’s Go Crazy,” “Kiss,” and “Cream.”

2. Michael Jackson… I’m guessing some of you know him as the King of Pop. He explored many different music genres including pop, soul, r&b, funk, and rock. His music either made people want to get up and dance or maybe cry a little. Many of Michael Jackson’s influences came from Little Richard, James Brown, Diana Ross, The Isley Brothers, and more. His number one hits included “Thriller,” “Man In The Mirror,” “The Way You Make Me Feel,” “Billie Jean,” “Dirty Diana,” “Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough,” and so much more.  Michael Jackson was an extraordinary entertainer who always knew how to pull the crowd in through his moonwalk.

3. Whitney Houston graced people with her abstract voice. She was mostly known for singing R&B music. Artists such as Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Toni Braxton, and Christina Aguilera have acknowledged Whitney Houston as one of their musical influences. To this day, people still acknowledge Whitney Houston’s performance of the “Star Spangled Banner” at the 1991 Superbowl. Many of her greatest hits include “I Will Always Love You,” “I Have Nothing,” “Saving All My Love For You,” “I Wanna Dance With Somebody,” “Heartbreak Hotel,” ‘Greatest Love of All,” and “How Will I Know.”  

4. Known for his glam rock, pop electronic, experimental genre of music, David Bowie an eccentric musician hailing all the way from London, England. He was strongly influenced by rock and rollers such as Little Richard and Elvis Presley. His greatest hit records included “Space Oddity,” “Starman,” “Changes,” “Diamond Dogs,” “Rebel Rebel,” and Golden Years. During his lifetime, his record sales estimated at 140 million worldwide. This made him one of the world’s best-selling music artist.

In addition, we thank these musicians for giving us some of the best music of our lives. Oh, what a concert Heaven is having right now! 

Read, write, and love!
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.