“Thank U, Next:” Finding Gratitude in Moving On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

This Holiday season, we are nothing but grateful for our exs.

Our ponytailed queen of pop, Ariana Grande, reminds us that there is growth in loving and losing with her hit No.1 single, “Thank U, Next”. Making Ariana the most streamed artist on Spotify, “Thank U, Next” is the first solo song in 2018 to spend nine days on iTunes worldwide and four weeks on Billboard’s Hot 100 song chart at No.1. The long-awaited music video broke Youtube’s all-time record for most views in the first 24 hours of release. With over 40 million streams on Spotify, Ariana is the only artist to have a single break multiple records on Spotify and YouTube.

We stan a living legend!  

Contrary to the usual breakup song, Ari turns her lemons into lemonade as she acknowledges her past relationships with Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez, ex-fiancé Pete Davidson, and the late Mac Miller. She opens up about what each relationship has taught her (love, patience, and pain) and how the outcome from these separations shaped her into becoming a better version of herself.

Ari then goes on to tell us her newest relationship is with herself, “Plus, I met someone else/ We havin’ better discussions/ I know they say I move on too fast/ But this one gon’ last/ ‘Cause her name is Ari/ And I’m so good with that.”

Yasssss mama!

I admire Ariana for taking the high road by showing gratitude to her exs instead of throwing shade. It’s refreshing to see an artist be transparent and vulnerable- especially one who’s been through so much trauma and heartbreak. I respect her for being mature, positive, and optimistic during a time when pettiness, negativity, and depression is popular post-breakup.

After processing the message of the song, I couldn’t help but think of a poem from Emery Allen’s poetry book titled, “Become”. It reads:

“Sometimes people come into your life to show you what is right and what wrong. To show you who you can be, to teach you to love yourself, to make you feel better for a little while. Not everyone is going to stay forever, and we still have to keep on going and thank them for what they’ve given us.”

Ari’s attitude in “thank u, next” is the mindset we should all have as we navigate through (romantic and platonic) relationships. There’s no escape in being lied to, cheated on, or taken for granted. However, it’s extremely important to see failed relationships simply as a lesson and nothing more. Not everyone you have relations with will be on your level. When all else fails, take your lessons and GO. Adapt this mentality in order to forgive, grow, and embrace what the future has to offer.

Thank u, next!

Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, Megan is currently a senior at North Carolina A&T State University. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing, and also minoring in multimedia journalism. This is her third year on the Her Campus NCAT editorial staff.
I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.