Student by Day, Fashionista by Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Akeya Garrett is a sophomore business management student at North Carolina A&T State University from Spartanburg, South Carolina.

You can catch Akeya slaying the runway, posing in front of camera, or definitely sporting the latest trends. Stay tuned to listen to her story of how she found refuge in her passion. Sometimes we don’t always find our passions, but our passions always find us.

1. What inspired you to start modeling?

I started modeling just because I was tall and liked being in front of the camera. I used to watch America’s Next Top Model and I would say, “you know…I think I could do that!” and people said, “…Keya, you should start modeling.” At first I was like….”nah” but then I said, “let me actually consider it.” What inspired me the most to become a model was my height. Growing up I was always considered tall for my age. I tried basketball, I tried volleyball, but I sucked basically at both, so modeling was my last option. I started getting familiar with the camera and taking pictures. It was mainly fashion back then, it wasn’t really considered modeling.

2. What are some of the experiences you’ve had with runway or print?

My mom put me in her hair show for Kenneth Shuler back in 2014. That was kinda dope! It was crazy ‘cause my first runway show I had this huge elephant pinned to my head and right when I walked on the stage, I completely wowed everyone. Recently, I did this show with Pish Posh, an on campus brand. It was so amazing! I had my hair braided up and my makeup was in an Egyptian style. Overall it was just a great experience! I have done many notable photoshoots. One of my recent ones was on a tennis court. The sun was beaming but other than that I had the time of my life!

3. Where do you see yourself in your modeling career in 5 years?

In 5 years I hope to have walked for Greensboro Fashion Week, New York Fashion Week, and just gain more exposure as a model and for my brand.

4. Do you have any advice for aspiring models?

If you are trying to be an aspiring model my piece of advice is don’t give up. Keep trying. Keep working to whatever goal you are trying to get. You can do it. I believe in you.

Delanee-Alexis Coley is a 19 year old Multimedia Journalism student at the illustrious North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. Ms. Coley is multifaceted and finds interest in anything from the arts to social justice. As someone who can be very timid, she is learning to take an active approach to follow her dreams, even if that means pushing out of her comfort zone. In deep thought Delanee-Alexis was inspired to join more organizations on campus and in her community, living up to her new mantra “Never be passive in your pursuit.”- Delanee-Alexis Coley. Locally, Coley has served as an executive board member of Charm City Aggies (Baltimore's hometown group), a mentor and dream enthusiast with Just Bee Empowerment Group, an active member of Alpha Lambda Delta Collegiate Honor Society, and many more. Back at home, Delanee-Alexis is the youth president of a nonprofit called Pure Potential Enterprises (founded in Baltimore, 2012) in which she helps youth organize collegiate portfolios, package scholarships, achieve collegiate acceptances, and compete for collegiate scholarships. Her favorite bible verse, Proverbs 31:25, is the epitome of how she feels about life. Though she has faced many up's and down's she is always confident that God will lead her where she is destined to be. It reads "She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future."
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.