Profile: Destiny McElroy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Name: Destiny McElroy Class: Junior Major: Public Relations minor in Marketing Campus Involvement: Public Relations Student Society of America, National Association of Black Journalists and Student Cluster Leadership Council and Triad Perspectives TV Broadcast. Social Media: Instagram: iam_destinym Twitter: _DestinyMc Hometown: Long Island, New York

1- What are your career goals following college? Some of my career goals post graduation will be heading straight to graduate school to receive my masters in communications, specifically in Public Relations. While acquiring my master’s degree, I look forward to working for, preferably a media company as a Public Relations Specialist. I plan to continue my education until I’ve received my Doctorates in communications to then own my own Brand, Campaign and Crisis Management Company. 2- How has your college career molded you thus far? I can honestly say my college career has molded me to become a woman who is comfortable within herself completely. I became confident in myself not just physically, but emotionally and mentally. From my freshman to junior, I can begin to see the cultivation in myself. I knew because my decision-making process began to change. My approach to life was mature and with a third-eye. The challenges and short-coming taught me valuable lessons that made me the person I am today.   3- What are some of your main attributes you could pass along? I would say some attributes I possess would probably be humility, no matter what situation I endure I always manage to think about others and the effects consequence can have on them. It is never just me in the equations. I would also say generosity. I can’t help but to give or help the person next me. It’s almost like a force. A force that I cannot deny. 4- What is something you think all young women should live by? I truly believe women should at all times live by their morals and core values. Remaining true to oneself is a major factor to growing in life. Women and men should continue to defend and stand for who they are. Life has the tendencies to throw obstacles towards our direction but the gag is simple, be yourself. 5- What is the biggest challenge you believe you’ve had to overcome as a young African American female, when it comes to chasing your dreams? The biggest challenge, I believe, I ever encountered as an African-American female is being taken seriously. When I worked in retail, I came in contact with a diverse group of people and majority of the time based on my demographic status, I was sometimes put to the test. I would have to prove my capabilities simply because I was a young, black women in titled position. That’s why I always push myself to strive and continue to persevere. 6- What is an issue around you within the community where you would like to implement change? An issue around the community that I would like to implement would be access to more necessary household items and fresh food products. Brands like Sam’s Club should have higher quantity of resources such as fresh products and appliances. Being within Greensboro for the past four years, I’ve learned some of the demographics of Greensboro are majority of the lower class. 24/7 Wall Street ranked North Carolina in the top ten for the highest poverty rate. This census should drive big high-demand companies like, Walmart and Costco should give more access to their fresh products. 7- What are some ways you keep yourself motivated? I always tell my sisters, who are 13 and 18 years old, to “keep going,” “never give up,” and “don’t pay attention to what others have to say.” I always remind them to have a tunnel vision, remain focus on your goals and you will achieve them. Giving my siblings the motivation to succeed made me push harder because I had my sisters looking up to me so the expectation for myself was higher. Continuing to exemplify what ambition looks like is one way I keep myself motivated. 8- What is something many people may be surprised to know about you? Many people would be really surprise that I actually like to be myself in a quiet room with just myself and thoughts. Don’t get me wrong, I love the atmosphere of a warm, social gathering, but there is nothing like a quiet peaceful moment with just my thoughts and maybe a magazine or book. Those moments are my most creative moments. I come up with my best ideas in a room by myself. 10- If you could give the younger you any piece of advice what would it be? I would tell my younger self, “It will be ok.” I cannot count the amount times I’ve entered an unrealistic panic mode about certain situations because I felt I wasn’t sufficient enough or I was making a total mistake and I was going way over my head. I would tell my younger Des to prepare herself stronger for the opportunities such as the one she did have running her own campaign for VP of Internal Affairs at North Carolina A&T. I believe just like everyone else, we will always have room for improvement and everyday I’m accepting that, no matter how perfect I want to be.

Aspire to inspire.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.