Meet LoveytheDon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

LoveyTheDon is a Greensboro based artist, entrepreneur, and student at A&T.

Where did you get your name from?

It’s kind of weird how I first got my name actually. My twitter name use to be “angel loveyy” but I’ve always been obsessed with the movie The Godfather. I thought Don Corleone was the coolest dude ever and I felt I was a Don in my own mind so I changed my name to LoveytheDon and then people who followed me on social media just started calling me that in public so I went with it.

How/When/Why did you start rapping?

I’ve been writing music since I was a little girl, but I started rapping when I was 15. Nicki Minaj had just started her “Roman Zolanski” era and her glo up really inspired me. She was so weird I figured, “hey if she can do it so can I.”

Who are your influences?

Well I mentioned Nicki of course but my music range has always been very wide. Kanye West and Jay-Z are definitely my top influences because of their dominating presence. Even though I’m a woman I channel their energy a lot in my artistry. Loved the Beetles at one point growing up,

What did you listen to growing up & who are you listening to now?

I grew up listening to a lot of old school funk, R&B, rock, and rap because of my dad, he use to be a DJ. Wu-Tang Clan has always been a fascination of mine. Now I listen to a lot of underground Rap. Doja cat is my fav definitely, BbyMutha, Key! Is forever a legend in my eyes. The list goes on

What is your new EP about?

My new EP is about me coming into myself and securing my destiny.

What is the meaning behind your new EP title?

The title is “CrystalBaller” because it represents me finally being able to see a glimpse of my future and it looks genuinely promising for the first time in a long time.

What is Rare Flair Magazine & why did you start it?

Rare Flair Magazine is my first self published magazine targeted towards the Alternative Ethnic Youth. It focuses in on Underground Music and rising Fashion Designers, Stylists and Visual Artists and Photographers as well.

I started it because once I got involved in the underground culture and found the “world of soundcloud” as I like to call it, I learned that there are too many talented people out here making amazing work that they were getting any recognition for, so I wanted to give them their shine, which was Rare Flair Mag.

Soundcloud.com/LOVEYTHEDON

IG: loveythedon

Music Video for “Flawless Victory!”

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.