This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

With college comes fresh starts, new friends, and new experiences. However no one warns you about how to mentally cope with stepping into humble beginnings. It is important to set goals and standards for yourself right off the bat. As the years progress it gets more difficult to stay on what you thought was a straight path after dealing with peer pressure, the destruction of friendships, and sudden realization that whether you like it or not, your life will be continuing and you have to have a plan.

With all this going on it’s important to hold on to the fact that is it okay to not be okay, it is okay to be trying and not succeeding, it is okay to go at your own pace. Apply these several steps to your plan of action and everything will be fine.

Tips on How to Be Successful through Stress:

• Expect and Prepare for Change
  • Put more emphasis on Your Freedoms, Not Your Limitations
  • Refocus yourself and goals when you get overwhelmed
  • Be aware of your emotions and keep your anxiety in check
  • Stop the negative talk

Hold on to what you value the most and capitalize on it. Do not sell yourself short at the expense of others and their demons. With matriculation comes maturation, maturation of the mind and goals. It is easier telling yourself you can’t rather than doing the work, but letting go is worse than the possible failure you could endure.

I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.