This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

I like to believe I am a butterfly or was a butterfly. Or I will be one. Maybe in the next lifetime or I was one in the life before this one. 

Butterflies hold significance in my life. Let me explain why: At the end of 2015, I was a junior in high school, living life without a care in the world, really. Until my great aunt passed away. I was devastated. When I think of her now and even then, I always picture her sitting on her porch, with her warm smile and open arms as I walked up. She was such a light in my world, in my family’s world.  

I know you’re probably wondering, what does her great aunt passing have to do with butterflies? Bear with me, I’m getting there. 

After her passing, I thought of her more than I ever did before. Yearning in desperation for just one more hug and a kiss on the cheek from her, they were always the best. As I would catch myself thinking of her, trying my hardest not to sit in a pool of sadness, a yellow swallowtail butterfly would cross my path. Doing what butterflies do, flying so freely. Going with the wind and wherever that may have taken them. 

I used to think to myself, I’m not seeing these butterflies for no reason. This is no coincidence, there’s always a reason. And butterflies are great omens and I knew it was her. Yellow swallowtail butterflies represent a new life, rebirth or transformation. Giving me a sign of new growth, a new chapter with in my life. A transformation into a new stage in my life, a change, as if I was a butterfly. 

Butterflies give me this warm feeling every time I see them, telling me everything is going to be okay. Accept this change that you are going through. Evolve and don’t stop. They have given me a new outlook on what it feels to be free and grow. And I thank my aunt every day for this.

So yes, I am a human. But I like to believe I am a butterfly in spirit. Being free. Free from any limitations that may affect my growth as an individual. My only limitation is my perception and imagination. My only limit is me. 

A junior at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, enjoying her tender age by indulging in reading and eating as many tacos as her stomach will allow. Talking to everyone that crosses her path, she is very different from her once introvert personality. Allowing her curiosity to lead the way into the world.
I am a multimedia journalism student at North Carolina A&T. I love film and hope to one day direct my own movies.