This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

As the days get colder, our nights seem to get a little lonelier. Instead of partying, we rather spend our weekends inside being cuddled while binge watching Netflix. Our phones are drier than the Sahara Desert and we’re praying for a wave of cuties to hit our line.

Ladies and gents, I think it’s safe to say cuffing season is upon us.

For those who were born yesterday, cuffing season is a time between October – March when the cold weather causes single people to feel lonelier than usual. Around this time, singles begin to feel the need to be cuffed /boo’d up /or tied down in either a “situationship” or a monogamous relationship.

There’s nothing wrong with both parties wanting a short-term friends-with-benefits ordeal. However, the lines tend to blur when one person is under the wrong impression and is investing into someone who plans to move on once the snow melts.

This cuffing season, let’s be clear on the difference between talking, dating, dating exclusively, and an exclusive relationship.

Disclaimer: Some people are comfortable having sex in the first two stages, and that’s okay. If you only want sex and nothing more, then make it clear in the beginning. If the other wants to wait or doesn’t’t want to have sex at all, respect their decision to either stay or move along. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Talking

You’ve exchanged numbers with someone and casually text/call/Facetime often. You follow each other on social media and may even like or favorite each other’s pictures or tweets sometimes. There’s a little flirting here and there, but it’s nothing serious. You are both testing the waters to see if it’s a growing interest.

Dating

You two spend time together by going out on dates or just hanging out. There’s a mutual interest between the two of you, but y’all are not official. This space helps you decide whether you see yourself being comfortable in a relationship with this person. There is no commitment nor seriousness involved. You are both still allowed to date other people.  *This can also the foundation for friends-with-benefits*

Dating Exclusively

You both have cut off all the other people you were dating. You two are focusing on getting to know each other on a personal level. Y’all are only emotionally and physically invested in one another. The goal is working into being in a committed relationship.

Exclusive Relationship

THE ULTIMATE CUFF. There has been a mutual agreement to become a couple. No side pieces, no hoes, no one waiting on you. You two are fully integrated into one another’s lives Y’all are each other’s one and only!

Don’t get caught up this cuffing season! Talk to your partner and set boundaries if necessary. Be aware of what you’re getting yourself into and if you realize you want something (or someone) else then speak up!! Honesty is the best policy!

Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, Megan is currently a senior at North Carolina A&T State University. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing, and also minoring in multimedia journalism. This is her third year on the Her Campus NCAT editorial staff.