stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

If you ever took back an ex pause for a moment and ask yourself why? Was it because they begged for you back, claimed they changed or because you felt like they were all you had? If you said yes to any of the above, I’m here to tell you that you’ve messed up and how to fix your mistakes from happening again.

Let’s start with a classic “I’ve changed!” Let’s be honest, if we are still falling for those two words with no action to follow in 2019 we have ourselves to blame for the headache that follows. Honestly, we usually fall for it because we remember the good times, the honeymoon stage and think when they say “they’ve changed’ they’ve really changed right back to that.

In reality they remembered just how they acted then too, so they know exactly what you’d fall for again. So, when they say I’ve changed just say… “I have too”. Changed from the person that would fall for those same ole words over and over.

Next is when they start begging…. yikes. This one can make you feel two ways. It’ll lowkey boost your ego, making you feel so good about yourself and puts you in such a good place that you’re like “Hey why not? Let’s try this again”. The other is when they make you feel bad about ending it, that maybe you were being a little dramatic. Now lemme stop you right there.

Just because they’re begging does not mean you were wrong, nor does it mean take them back with the quickness. They’re begging because they actually realized what they lost was something AMAZING. They realized that you can find someone else, do way better things, and continue to grow without them and they just can’t handle it, which is not your problem.

Finally, and this might be the saddest one, we felt like we needed them. Let’s face it, it was that ONE where no matter how bad it went we felt as though it wouldn’t be better with anyone else. No more good times with anyone else, that’s as good as it got. They were all we had and needed. Most of all we still had a little bit of hope, hope that everything will turn out just fine and honey, I’m here to say it will trust me it will. Without them. They need to stay over there. You do not need them because you were thriving before them and you will continue to thrive after them. You are all you need remember that!

Now this article was not intended to hurt your feelings, honestly if anyone should feel attacked it should be me, but it needed to be said. Also, this isn’t a diss to anyone who did get back with their ex. If y’all are thriving congratulations I’m happy for y’all, but if it did not work and deep down in your gut you know you it never will DO NOT (and I cannot stress this enough) TAKE THEM BACK!

It is called growth, as in we are outgrowing our exes. Keep your exes in exile, do not go back to the same ole thing when you know your worth diamond rings (Jay-Z I’m waiting for my call).

That’s all for now kids I’ll talk to y’all later!

• DorJea’

I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.