Kehlani’s New Album, “SweetSexySavage” Is out Now!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Have you been listening to Kehlani’s new album, SweetSexySavage? Well, if you haven’t you have been missing out. The new album dropped on January 27th, and I’ve been jamming to it ever since.

With this album, I listened to it several times, and I’m particularly picky on what music I listen to. I love the whole album and how she created tons of melodies and harmonies throughout different tracks. The production on the whole album is superb.

The first track is titled “Intro” and I want to share some of the lyrics that stand out for any girl that needs to understand that the importance of self-worth.

“I know what it’s like to give life to a being without ever needing to press skin against one another / I’m afraid you’re under the impression that I was made to please you / The truth is, I’m a superwoman”

These lyrics speak volumes to me, because in our society, we are taught through the media, and some people we know who appear to be in successful relationships, that you should be romantically physical. We are also taught that we should be look exactly like everyone who has a popular following on social media platforms like Instagram.

But, I have advice for you…Please be YOU. Only, you can be you.

You don’t need to get acceptance from the amount of followers you have or anyone else because that is only superficial validation. It’s important that you know that you’re a superwoman, and be proud of that.

Believe me, you can be in a successful relationship without being sexually active. What’s most important is if you two are mentally connected with each other. When a baker makes a cake, what happens first? They get the ingredients to make the batter. The batter is the foundation of the cake. Being physical is just the icing on the cake. It’s important to be compatible with your partner. As Kehlani would state, “y’all got to vibe together.”

Kehlani’s track, “Intro” is a perfect way to start off the album. Each song on the album is perfectly lined up to have the perfect transition to the next song. “Piece of Mind” is another favorite track of mine; it talks about a breakup and how it made her who she is as a person. She’s stronger and won’t make the same mistakes that she made before.

This album isn’t meant to get you in your feelings, but help you understand your worth and every song shows that. You are a superwoman, and Kehlani believes that too.

Kehlani’s new album is available on all music platforms. ITunes, Google Play, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, etc. Let me know your favorite song on the album and why in the comments.

Happy Listening!

My name is Kassia McKain, I attend North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University in Greensboro, North Carolina. I am apart of the wonderful Hercampus NCAT.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.