The Importance of Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Do you feel like you don’t get enough me time? If so, starting a self care routine might be right for you. A self care routine are activities created for you and by you to help you feel your best mentally , physically, and spiritually. Self care can look different for everyone, but here are some things that you can add into your daily schedule that will improve your self care routine.  

Photo credit to @Chichiagram

1. Focus on the environment you are in.

This will help you live in the present. This will encourage you to stop trying to fix something that happened in the past or worrying about something that could happen in the future. When you focus on your environment, you can take a break from all the things that are stressing you out, and just focus on the now. If you need ideas of ways to be present, try listening to music, noticing something new about your room or neighborhood, or even burning a candle. 

2. Do the things that you enjoy. 

Doing what it is that you love can boost your mood tremendously. So whatever that is for you, go for it! Rewatch your favorite movie, watch Sex and the City from episode one, season one, or just take as many selfies as you want. 

3. Get organized 

Being in a space that is extremely cluttered is overwhelming and can raise your stress levels. When a workspace is clean and clutter-free, you focus more on your task, instead of wondering where this pile of papers could go. You know that drawer that you just throw anything into? We all have one. Try throwing out all of the unnecessary items that you don’t need.

4. Relax your mind by focusing on being spiritual

Whether being spiritual to you means going to church, meditating, or whatever else you have in mind, it is important to take time and reflect during this period. Journaling is a helpful way to reflect on what is going on in your head. Another way to reflect is to jot down things in your life that you are grateful for. 

5. Understand and accept your feelings

When battling with stress, it can be hard to deal with emotions. There are ways to get through that. Like stated above, journaling really helps you sort out how you are feeling. When journaling, you may get overwhelmed with everything you are feeling and be moved to tears. I promise that it is okay to cry. Crying helps release built up emotions.  

Lastly, if feeling overwhelmed, see a therapist. There is nothing wrong with you if you decide to go seek help. Therapy is extremely helpful if you just want someone to vent to. There are times that I have nothing bothering me, but I still choose to go just to talk. Therapy can also be helpful because your are getting another perspective on an issue, that is non bias. 

Starting a self care journey can seem daunting at first, but the outcome will be so worth it.  Remember, it’s okay not to be okay. As long as you are willing to do the work to get better. 

I am a multimedia journalism student at North Carolina A&T. I love film and hope to one day direct my own movies.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.