“Happy Death Day” Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Tis the season to be spooked!

As October’s first horror-thriller movie release, “Happy Death Day” is a time-bending slasher film with playful undertones. From the masterminds of “Paranormal Activity,” “The Purge,” and “Get Out,” “Happy Death Day” is a more entertaining than frightening candidate in the horror-thriller genre. The story follows a mean sorority girl, “Tree”, who is murdered on her birthday and begins reliving the day over and over again. At that point, she sets out to find the killer (whose hidden behind a creepy baby-faced mask) in order to stop her repeating death. Her suspect list is long due to her selfish and bitchy persona, which justifies why someone’s out to kill her. Tree’s cycle of waking up, freaking out, and eventually dying (a different way each time) brings comic relief. Tree is on the brink of a nervous breakdown during the first resurrections, but soon becomes aware of the routine of dying. She marginally becomes better-tempered and realizes she has the power to end the continuous murders, making the film enjoyable to watch. Based off the trailer, I didn’t expect this movie to be scary at all. And for the most part it wasn’t. However, the suspense and anticipation of finding out the identity of the killer had me on the edge of my seat. Most would expect the movie to become repetitive, but the plot shifts into a mystery (more so than horror) as Tree begins a hunt to uncover her masked killer. As the movie picks up, the unexpected situations Tree face will have you fully engrossed and wanting more. Overall, I give this film a 7 out of 10, only because it had very little gore and horror. Nevertheless, I do recommend seeing this film for a roller-coaster ride of suspense. I, for one, would gladly watch it again — just not tomorrow.

Born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina, Megan is currently a senior at North Carolina A&T State University. She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing, and also minoring in multimedia journalism. This is her third year on the Her Campus NCAT editorial staff.
Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.