Demi Does a Documentary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

Last week I got cozied up in my bed to watch Demi Lovato’s Documentary Simply Complicated after my friend said it was really good and I’m here to confirm her reviews: I absolutely loved it.

I applaud how real and open she was when she told her story of how she became famous. She started young and began booking jobs, next thing you know she’s on, one of my favorite Disney musicals, Camp Rock, and from there she took off.

Growing up is hard enough in itself, but put fame on top of that, and the outcome can be treacherous. Demi’s story may shock some, but anyone who has struggled with drug use can relate to her easily.

Now, as a 25-year-old, Demi struggles with things that college students can understand, from dealing with loneliness to eating disorders. A powerful moment in the documentary was after Demi was leaving a building and getting into her chauffeured car with her agent and she’s looking a little down and glum. Her agent inquired more and she let the audience know, on camera, that she had just binged 5 minutes before getting into the car. That’s authentic. That’s realistic. She battles just like your classmates, friends, and family members, so you’re not alone in whatever mental battle you face.

I encourage everyone to spend a little over 1 hour of their time to watch this free documentary since it’s on YouTube. Hopefully you’ll look at my role model a little bit differently now and give her music a chance if you haven’t already.

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.