Alumna Alley With Kameron J

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

1. Where are you from? Where do you live now?

My friends always hate when people ask me where am I from because I have the longest response. I was born in West Palm Beach, Florida. I lived outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for 9 years and moved to Greensboro 9 years ago. So, I guess we can say I am from Greensboro, North Carolina. I also currently still reside in Greensboro, but am hoping to be leaving the city soon.

2. What was your major in school?

My major in school was Journalism and Mass Communications; Multimedia.

3. Were you actively involved in school?

I was actively involved in school my first two years of college. I was active within the Journalism department, TV. studio and newspaper. But, once I started working while in school, I was not as active as I should have been.

4. Do you feel like A&T prepared you for the real world?

I do feel that the education that I received from A&T helped prepare me for the real world, but I feel that you can never completely be prepared for the real world. The transition into adulthood is very stressful; let’s just say that.

5. Did your post-grad goals go as you planned?

My post-grad goals did not go as I planned. That is actually why I have recently launched my blog The Kameron J Perspective (www.kameronj.com), which discusses the post-grad difficulties of finding a job after college. Due to my post-grad goals not going as planned immediately, I am having faith that they can soon take effect.

6. What are you currently involved with now?

Currently, I am working as a server to make quick money, but am staying relevant and up to date on current events, while also working on my blog. I am also going to start doing social media for a cosmetic company in a week or so.

7. What inspired you to start your own blog?

My inspiration from my blog came directly from the post-grad difficulties of not having a job immediately after college. The stress that it caused me, gave me an idea to express my emotions through writing and also to let other college grads that did not have a job post-grad as well, know that they are not alone.

8. What are some myths and facts about “adulting” that you’ve discovered?

Some myths and facts that I have discovered about “adulting” are responsibility, patience, and faith. Responsibility is a big one because my parents have thrown bills at me. “It’s time to start paying for your insurance”, my dad told me as soon as I graduated. As an adult you have to learn how to handle your finances and balance out bills and social activities.

Patience has been a big part of “adulting” that I have discovered because I did not graduate college with a job. I have had to be patient and know that what is for me is for me and it will come on God’s timing if I have faith and follow God’s word.

9. What would you say to encourage current undergraduate students?

I would tell current undergraduate students that are seniors and about to graduate to enjoy college while they can and to never compare their journey to anyone else’s journey.

10. Tell us some fun facts that we don’t know about you

Some fun facts that you don’t know about me are, I absolutely love to write. I had the opportunity to intern with CBS News in New York City the summer before my senior year of college. I was an intern with the National Desk and got to chase breaking news. I don’t want to be an anchor or reporter in front of the camera, but much would rather do producing. I also would love to eventually do interviews on the red carpet.

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.