stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Pieces of Advice I Would Give my Teenage Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

5. Keep a journal

Keeping a journal will help you remember your thoughts and feelings. It’ll also help you keep track of your growth. Over winter break, I found my journal from middle school. When I was able to get past the cringe factor, I was able to laugh at my naive nature. I was literally laughing out loud with tears. I shared some of my entries with my friends and they were able to enjoy it with me.

4. You are too young to be in a serious relationship.

Every time I was crying to an adult about my trivial relationship problems, they always told me that line. “You’re too young…” At the time, I was NOT trying to hear that. I just knew that I was going to be with my at-the-time-bae foreveeerrrrrrr. I was wrong. I’m glad I was wrong because I couldn’t imagine being with my middle school/ high school baes now. Ew! Not only would that have been super boring, but I wouldn’t have the space to grow emotionally, mentally, or romantically.

3. Embrace your sexuality.

This one is more for my 17-19 self. Don’t be afraid to get to know yourself sexually. Experiment, find out what you like and don’t like. Have fun, but be safe. Be educated, and don’t let everyone in. Everyone doesn’t deserve your body. Don’t let them play you or use you, be aware of the game, and protect yourself. You will not love everyone you have sex with. Know your worth. Your “body count” doesn’t define you or make you less of a person.

2. Don’t take yourself so seriously.

Learn to laugh at yourself. It’s okay to not be perfect. When you mess up, shake it off and just laugh about it, but also learn from it. Life is so much more enjoyable when you learn to laugh at yourself. When you laugh at yourself, no one can ever laugh at you, they will always be laughing with you. If you can’t laugh at yourself, how are you going to laugh at anyone else?

1. Love yourself

This is the hardest things to learn how to do, but it is the most important advice you will ever hear. It is so worth it when you’ve accomplished it. When you learn to love yourself, you’ll be happier. You’ll be able to avoid toxic relationships and you will be healthier. Life will be great! As the late great Whitney Houston used to say, “learning to love yourself, is the greatest love of all.”

I am a GRADUATING Senior majoring in Secondary English Education from the Bull City, Durham, NC. I plan to be an English Teacher that encourages learning and wants to reform public education. I am very silly and playful and laid back. I believe that we are here for a good time, not a long time, so we should take risks and enjoy life.
I am Alexis Hooper, President of the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University chapter of Her Campus.