5 Biggest Pop-Culture Moments of 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NCAT chapter.

As we celebrate the start of a new year and new opportunities, here’s a recap of of all the news, trends, and biggest moments of 2015. In the world of pop culture, there were many highs and lows that happened in last year. So much has happened in the world of celebrities, movies, TV, and social media.

Here are 5 of the biggest moments of 2015.

5. Hoverboards

During the year of 2015, hoverboards became a huge deal and everyone wanted one! These two-wheeled scooters are the hottest toys of the year. Why walk when you can ride around town on your hoverboard? Celebrities use them, every kid wants one, and they’re fun for anyone to ride. Hoverboards became popular in 2015 and is definitely a trend that will last in 2016.

4. White & Gold/Blue & Black Dress

Is the dress white and gold or is it blue and black? Also during 2015, social media went crazy and a big debate over the color of a particular dress made everyone go crazy. The color of this dress had people fighting like cats and dogs, yet still the color of the dress has yet to be figured out.

3. Drake’s Hotline Bling

While many celebrities may have thought they broke the internet this year, 2015 definitely was Drake’s year! Although Drake released his album If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late, went platinum, and destroyed Meek Mill in their battle. Drake released his video to “Hotline Bling” and made the internet go wild. Drake’s catchy lyrics and dance moves had social media creating some of the funniest Meme’s that will live on forever.

2. Caitlyn Jenner

Caitlyn Jenner unveiling was one of the biggest stories of the year. The former Olympic gold medalist Bruce Jenner revealed his true identity on the cover of Vanity Fair. Caitlyn was recognized for her courage and bravery. She received awards and a tv show that followed her journey and new life. This was definitely one of the most shocking pop-culture moments of 2015 and beyond.

1. Adele Returns

For the past couple of years, the world has been waiting for new music from Adele. The return of Adele had to be the biggest moment of 2015. Adele shocked all of us before the end of the year with release of her third album 25. The “Hello” video has 968 million views and her album 25 has sold more than 3 million copies in a week, making it the first album to ever accomplish that. Adele definitely ended 2015 with a bang and surprised all of us. We all know Adele is known for waiting years to release music and who knows the next time we will get new music, so enjoy it for now!

Hi everyone! I am a sophomore at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University who should be majoring in Weddings, but is actually a Journalism & Mass Communications student with a concentration in Multimedia. Originally I am from Woodbridge, Virginia, which is about 30 minutes south of our nation’s capital. I have lived here all my life, but I’m not afraid to branch out and explore the world. This past summer I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia to engage and immerse myself in Australian culture. The experience was phenomenal and I’m already counting down the days until I can return that beautiful country. Check out my Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.