NTU cafe reviews cosmos
NTU cafe reviews cosmos
Original photo by Nicole Ng

Your Guide To Our Favourite Cafes In NTU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

We get it: sometimes you just work better in a café. Apart from the basic but reliable crowd-favourites like Starbucks and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, there are many more hidden treasures to tick off your bucket list during your time here. Keep scrolling to uncover our team’s favourite hang-out spots around campus.

*Special thanks to Ruijia and Vedika for contributing!

The Hipsters

Venture Drive Coffee

NTU\'s ultimate cafe review venture drive coffee
Original photo by Nicole Ng

If I could sum this up for you coffee snobs in one sentence, it would be: They know their coffee. It’s conveniently located at North Spine plaza ( beside Boost and Soup Spoon Union), perfect for grabbing on the go when you’re running for class in need of a serious dose of caffeine. Their selection includes black, white, cold brew, matcha and hojicha variations, among others, and will set you back $4.50-$10. Not too bad, if you ask me. They also have brownies, pastries and a very tempting gelato display at the counter.

The friendly baristas recommended to me their Flat White ($4.50, comes hot or iced), which, according to local food reviewer Daniel Food Diary, has “floral, citrusy” notes. The verdict? It’s aromatic yet light, with a slight acidic aftertaste.

Like many cafes around, their coffee comes unsweetened so you can experience its original flavour, but they’ll add a drizzle of brown sugar syrup (which is the only type of sugar they use, according to the barista) if you prefer yours otherwise. If you’re looking for a tooth-achingly sweet sugar fix instead of straight coffee, you might have better luck elsewhere.

The downside? The space is small, so although they have seats along the window, it might be uncomfortable to study there during peak hours. Instead, study or chat at the surrounding tables outside and upstairs – there are plenty for you to choose from.

Iced and vegan milk options are available at an additional $1 each.

Find it at: North Spine Plaza (50 Nanyang Avenue, North Spine Plaza #NS3-01-13 Singapore 639798)

Can’t drop by? Get their coffee beans and bottled cold brew on their site.

Cosmo Bar & Coffeeworks

*head over to this cafe asap bc they shutting down at the end of the month

NTU cafe review cosmos
Original photo by Nicole Ng

Need a getaway from school, stat? I feel you (a little too much). Upon stepping into perhaps NTU’s most aesthetic dining option, my friend, Natalie, and I agreed that the place resembled the carefree, breezy cafes you’d find in Melbourne or Sydney. Located in a secluded area near SRC/ The Wave, it’s perfect for anyone who hates the North Spine lunch rush.

NTU cafe review cosmos
Original photo by Nicole Ng

Iced Hazelnut Latte ($5.90), Tequila Sunrise ($11)

There are plenty of chef-recommended dishes, along with a huge array of drinks (think caramel lattes, espressos, juices, cocktails, mocktails, and other spirits) to choose from. Being a sucker for coffee, you know I had to choose their Iced Hazelnut Latte ($5.90) (also pictured: Tequila Sunrise cocktail ($11)).

Is it as good as those that you’d find in the indie coffee shops around Melbourne? No, but I appreciated the fact that I could actually taste the hazelnut and, cool bonus, it kept me awake long enough to write this even though I was running on three hours of sleep. I also had the Milanese Chicken Burger ($10), which might sound pricey for school food, but trust me, the  huge serving makes up for it.

Tl;dr: Visit this place (while you can) if you’re looking for a quiet, chic place to recharge mid-day, but also want to have decent food options. It’s relatively near North Spine too!

Find it at: 50 Nanyang View, Campus Clubhouse, Singapore 639667 (cross over to the other end of the field near the pools, then, from the lobby, take the flight of stairs down).

Miss (or Mr) Congeniality 

LiHo

Yes, LiHo isn’t criminally underrated in any way whatsoever, but it’s a quiet enough space to complete a whole set of readings without being disturbed by huge throngs of students. It overlooks part of HASS, and the other part has a view of Yunnan Garden and the cultural building beside it. 

Here are our favourite picks:

Nicole: The Lychee Jing Syuan Tea, 50% sugar, less ice. If I wasn’t so lactose intolerant it’d be the Honey Milk Tea. 2000%.

Vedika: “salted caramel (or sometimes normal) coffee with pearls yum.”

Ruijia: “Brown sugar pearl avocado fresh milk”

Gabrielle: “Milk green tea with pearls, 50% sugar. Do I taste the green tea? Not really.”

*This list is purely based on personal preferences. I do not endorse any of their drink choices.

Find it at: HASS building, level 1

Connect 71

Those in the know would have heard of Connect71 (better known as c71), a student-owned and run eatery located in the NTU Innovation building, right beside The Arc and North Spine. Aside from the generous amount of space, the place also has a relaxed, laid-back vibe thanks to the dimmed lighting, making it the perfect place to unwind with friends between classes. If you want to impress visiting friends and family, or take an envy-inducing IG story, this is it. 

You won’t catch the food and drinks here lackin’ either, the Japanese dishes (mostly soba and rice) are a huge hit amongst their loyal fans. The Gyudon ($9, stir-fried beef on a bed of rice), Mazesoba ($7, soba with a slightly spicy gravy) and iced Toffee Nut Latte ($6) has our seal of approval. Although the food here is a little pricier than your run-of-the-mill meal in NTU, it’s totally worth it (in our opinion).

Flash your NTU Matriculation Card to get 10% off your meal.

Tl;dr: This one is basically your fail-safe. Good food and coffee, great ambience, and friendly staff, need we say more? 

Find it at: NTU Innovation Centre, 71 Nanyang Dr, Singapore 638075

Opening hours: Mon-Fri: 9.30am to 7.30pm, Weekdays & PH: By appointment

Co-Op

Humanities and social sciences students will be no stranger to this cafe located on the ground floor of the Hive. It serves a small but well-loved selection of western food such as pasta, fish and chips, and drinks like coffee, matcha lattes and English-style tea.

I personally love Co-Op’s food, especially the Cheese Fries ($4) – crinkle-cut, always served hot and crispy, and in a really generous amount. (Editor’s note: Their fries are to die for!) Apart from that, if you’re looking for something with a little more spice, try their addictive fan favourite Tom Yum Pasta ($5.50) (contains seafood). Other options include grilled chicken, rib-eye steak, pan-fried dory and even hot dogs with fries at a wallet-friendly $3.

I’d also recommend their coffee, which has made many early morning classes much more enjoyable.

The seating of the cafe is hangout-friendly, but tables are usually full during peak hours (lunchtime). Instead, bring your food up to the higher levels of the Hive, or the adjacent HSS building to enjoy your lunch and study in well-deserved peace and quiet. Because their service is relatively slow during this time, queues can get very long. However, they’ve since opened up an express queue for drink orders only. Do note that they accept limited modes of payment (currently only cash). 

In general, this is an accessible and conducive space to chat with friends or have a project meeting, while munching on some delicious food.

Find it at: 52 Nanyang Ave, Basement 5 The Hive, Singapore 639816

Underrated

The Tea Party

This particular outlet is tucked in a quiet corner of The Arc (take a left turn at the North Spine bus stop, away from the main North Spine building), which is home to tons of great study spots when you need a break from the busier areas of school. 

They serve up Western food options, with a variety of pastas, smaller bites, drinks and dessert. We recommend the Chilli Beef Fries ($6.50) and the Nutella Cheesecake ($3.50) if you have a major sweet tooth like we do. Not sold yet? All mains come with a drink and vegetarian dishes are available too!

Tl;dr: Since it’s situated in quite a secluded spot (compared to others on this list), you’re more likely to find a seat here, even during peak hours.

Find it at: 63 Nanyang Drive #B1-01 The Arc, S 636922

Pen n Inc

Spanning a large section of North Spine level 1, NTU’s new fine-dining restaurant Pen & Inc. certainly offers a novel and more “upscale” experience from your usual meal options. They feature Southwest and Mexican cuisine, as well as a good range of drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). 

Pen & Inc. has a sophisticated ambience, making it gathering-friendly with good service to boot. Given that it’s for university students and staff, the place has done a decent job of creating a relatively “fancy” atmosphere for those who may be in the mood.

I ordered their Smoked Duck Carbonara ($14), which was creamy and delightful – but then again, it’s carbonara – as well as a Mango Lemonade ($4) that didn’t impress as much. My friends were quite disappointed at the Iced Latte ($4), so I guess beverages aren’t the restaurant’s strongest suit.

pasta
Original photo by Ruijia Huang

Overall, Pen & Inc. is definitely a good hangout spot for those who want a classy dinner experience at a slightly cheaper price within the convenience of the campus. They also offer delivery services. However, if you and your company are looking for the best value for money, I think there are equally tasty choices around school for a more affordable price.

Nicole Ng

Nanyang Tech '24

The real-life Emily Charlton from The Devil Wears Prada. Reach her at nicolengxinen@gmail.com.
Vedika Sharma

Nanyang Tech '24

Vedika is an Economics major at Nanyang Tech and a lover of all things cottage core. When not writing or working on academics, she can mostly be found sewing, watching trashy reality TV or gushing over Phoebe Waller-Bridge. She can hold hour-long conversations on intersectional feminism but can't pronounce Worcestershire.
Ruijia Huang

Nanyang Tech '23

A Psychology & Linguistics undergraduate who is a little obsessed with lifting and Chinese food.