Style > Beauty

Trying out medicinal skincare for sensitive skin – Sebamed’s facial cleansers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

A facial wash is like a life partner — a good one must be reliable, honest, and hopefully not smell too bad. The wrong choice may leave us scarred, stressed, and feeling like we wasted money on them. 

Having been through my fair share of facial cleansers – from the heart-shaped bottle packaged in bright pink plastic to the sleek-looking one plastered with Serif font, the simple packaging of Sebamed’s facial cleanser was something I was not used to, but worth the commitment.

If you haven’t heard of Sebamed, they are a medicinal skincare brand that carry a range of products, including facial cleansers, body wash, deodorants and lotions for every skin type and concern. With a pH value of 5.5 that mimics the mild acidity of our skin, Sebamed’s products help rebuild and restore the natural protective skin barrier to protect the skin from many common problems such as irritation, dryness, itchiness and eczema, as well as help to maintain that healthy, youthful glow.
For those with sensitive and irritable skin, Sebamed is also dermatologically tested to be hypoallergenic, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)-free, paraben-free, soap free, alkali free, and suitable even for the most sensitive skin. So rest assured — breakouts will be kept at bay.

Sebamed Facial Cleanser for oily and combination skin

sebamed product images oily face wash
Photo by Sebamed

Having a combination type skin myself, I tried out the Sebamed Facial Cleanser, which boasts deep-pore cleansing, for this specific skin type.

The transparent gel-like formula of the cleanser for oily and combination skin glided on my skin easily. Upon massaging it into my face, it foamed up slightly and had a faint fragrance to it, which was pleasant and not too overpowering. 

It left the skin feeling moisturised and refreshed without the all-too-familiar squeaky dryness that sebum-absorbing facial cleansers typically leave you with.

It’s great for those with oily skin as it removes excess sebum and maintains the lipid balance of the skin, which are natural fats that prevent sun damage and promote moisture retention. 

The slight acidity of this cleanser (at pH5.5) also helps to combat dreaded acne, so if you suffer from breakouts frequently, this one is your best bet. Plus, the soap-free formula ensures less irritation, redness and dry, flaky skin. The result? A gentle cleanser that you can use comfortably without the worry of walking around ridiculously flushed after.

Try it for yourself! Sebamed Facial Cleanser for Oily And Combination skin (150ml) is available at Watsons for $19.60.

Clear Face Gentle Scrub for impure and acne-prone skin

sebamed product images gentle scrub
Photo by Sebamed

I also tried the Clear Face Gentle Scrub for impure and acne-prone skin, which deep cleanses the pores and refines the complexion of one’s skin through removing dirty particles, excess sebum and dead skin cells. In line with the rest of Sebamed’s products to maintain one’s natural acid mantle, the scrub also has a pH value of 5.5. I had recently broken out on the left side of my cheek, so this came through in the clutch.

The scrub has a creamy and rich consistency, with turquoise biodegradable microbeads made from jojoba and canola oil – so it’s a win for both our skin and the environment. The jojoba oil sends signals to the skin to reduce sebum production, while the canola oil promotes the moisture and strength of skin tissue, and together they make for an amazing team to improve skin resilience and moisture levels.

It felt rather mild and gentle on the skin compared to other facial scrubs, and had an interesting nostalgic milk candy fragrance, which was odd but not off-putting.

After exfoliating and rinsing the scrub off, the skin felt softer and smoother to touch. It did leave my skin slightly pink, but the redness went away after a while. 

Usually at this point, I would be slathering on a bunch of moisturiser to revive my skin after feeling like I’ve attacked it with harsh microbeads. However, even after drying my face off, my skin still felt supple and not at all tight or dry. 

Formulated to be used not more than once a day, this scrub doubles as a cleanser so it’s perfect if you’re in a rush but still want to get some exfoliation into your skincare. 

Want to give it a go? Sebamed Clear Face Gentle Scrub for impure and acne-prone skin (150ml) is available at Watsons and Guardian for $18.00.

Though Sebamed’s products are on the pricier side and may not fit within all of our broke-student budgets, it’s a worthy investment to kickstart your medicinal skincare journey, which will benefit your skin in the long run.

(PSA – Check the ingredient list prior to purchase or usage, in case you might be allergic. To be extra safe, do a test patch prior to using it on your entire face.)

HCNTU sebamed review before
Original photo by Maegan Ong

Before

HCNTU sebamed review after
Original photo by Maegan Ong

After 5 days of using the facial cleanser + facial scrub

Maegan Ong

Nanyang Tech '23

Communications undergraduate. Mug collector, picture taker, life liver, laugher, lover.