This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nanyang Tech chapter.

You’re not alone.

I never truly understood why school uniforms were needed. It may teach us how to dress appropriately, but the dull sets of clothes and strict rules on accessorising slowly erode our creativity and box us in while bold self-expression and standing out are stigmatised. Still, I couldn’t resist jazzing up the dull school set whenever I could by wearing headbands or rule-breaking studs. I was looking forward to university where I could finally have the freedom to replace my boring uniform with whatever I wanted to.

But now, there are literally no rules.

As Singaporeans, we go through 10 (or more) years of our lives being told to conform, making it challenging to redefine what we’ve been taught. Although it is true that getting ready every day was a mindless and easy task, it subconsciously influenced me to be less thoughtful about what I wore as an expression and less accepting of those who didn’t conform to this uniformed mindset.

Thinking this way affected me as I chose outfits for university. I was extremely excited about picking out my first outfits—planning outfits weeks in advance, taking notes from my style idols and discussing combinations with friends who were also entering university. But ultimately, I chose a quiet striped T-shirt and skinny jeans, which soon became my new ‘uniform’ at university. The struggle between being safe or being myself bugged me as I cycled through my sets of plain outfits. Fortunately, I wasn’t the only one facing this challenge. I came together with friends with vastly different styles to support each other in deciding what to wear, and I felt the pressure of trying to adapt starting to lift for once. 

There isn’t a right answer when it comes to dressing up for school, unlike what wearing uniforms have taught us. Trendy clothes like wide-legged jeans today may be basic and overworn while adhering to a specific concept can come across as trying too hard. In my two months of being a freshman in a new environment where there are absolutely no rules of expressing ourselves through fashion, I’ve noticed the eclectic mix of dressers on campus. Perhaps it is being surrounded by art students, but every outfit that I pass by isn’t simply a set of clothes. Whether it is the colourful beads threaded through their shoelaces, the fantastical Harajuku dresses, the classic all-black outfit with chain details, or the funky keychains dangling from their Kanken backpacks, it is an outward expression of their personality. Dressing can reflect who we are, who we want to be or how we feel that day, and we should embrace that diversity.

As the famed fashion designer and reality star Rachel Zoe said, “[style] is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” Being used to staying within the boundaries set for us by years of uniform wearing has left us with uncertainty every time we put on something “different.” We often forget that being able to express ourselves freely is something that should be celebrated and cherished. In fact, being memorable and highlighting your personality could actually be in your favour to getting you that dream job or meeting new like-minded friends. So, whether you’ve been a recent “victim” of school uniforms or simply hesitant to show your true self, seize every opportunity to express your unique identity!

Still intimidated? Here are some ways to make it easier:

1) The more the merrier: gather some of your own friends to ‘twin’ with

2) Pick a colour theme or pattern scheme, sprinkle a little of your own fairy dust to put your own spin on it

• Pick a colour in the pattern and match your other pieces to it, shown here
  • Use colour theory—contrasting colours can emphasise your outfit. Read this article for more information on how to perfectly colour-coordinate your outfits
  • Mix-and-match textures and fabrics if you favour a neutral or monochrome palette. Try black leather belts over your favourite dark ensemble, or a pair of white satin pants to go with your trusty white T-shirt

3) Switch up certain features on your favourite pieces

• Play with basic features. If you like wearing shirts, opt for a cute Peter Pan collar instead of a regular one. Switch up basic sleeves on a shirt with puffed or bell sleeves to instantly elevate your look
  • Adding outerwear with funky prints like pineapples or animals, or even one with studs to spice up a simple T-shirt and shorts combo if you prefer to keep things basic

4) Experiment with different parts of your body

• Hair—there are tons of cool ways to play with colour or styling: the Hime cut, ‘galaxy’ hair colours, or an ash tone that flashes an iridescent shimmer in the sun
  • Nails can be a small but cool way to express yourself—try a new shade, throw on some glitter, or work in an ombre, it’s all temporary anyway!

Nicole Ng

Nanyang Tech '24

The real-life Emily Charlton from The Devil Wears Prada. Reach her at nicolengxinen@gmail.com.
Zinc Tan

Nanyang Tech '21

Zinc (she/her) is a Sociology undergraduate at Nanyang Technological University and the Senior Editor for HC Nanyang Tech. During her free time, you can find her drinking tea, sewing, or watching films (and often commenting on them). A proud intersectional feminist, she has a passion for creating discourse on inclusivity.